Desmos Studio is on a mission to help everyone learn math, love math, and grow with math. We do this by building a free suite of math tools that help people represent their ideas mathematically, connect different representations dynamically, and then conceive entirely new ideas. Our tools are now used by more than 75 million people around the world.
As a Public Benefit Corporation, we’re committed to keeping our core products freely available for individual use, not relying on external funding, never allowing 3rd party advertising, and never selling our users’ data. We’re able to stand behind those commitments on the back of being healthily profitable with a transparent business model: we license our software to other companies to enhance their work and to incorporate into their products.
We are seeking a visual designer to help us create and maintain responsive web designs that are beautiful, both in their creativity and in their functionality. As our only visual designer, you will collaborate across our entire team to help keep our users’ needs at the center of the design choices we make. You will also design original assets that communicate our mission and strengthen our relationship with the community of mathematicians, scientists, educators, students, and creatives who love and trust our products.
What to Expect from the Role
What you should show up ready to teach anyone on your first day:
- Something new that you’re excited to have learned recently!
- Best practices in design to achieve a clean, consistent, and intuitive user experience that is responsive across various devices and screen sizes.
- How to use modern design tools to collaborate and communicate design choices with product, engineering, and other stakeholders.
- About a design you’re most proud of and what the small, pixel-perfect details of that design communicate to those who experience it.
What you’ll learn more about after you’re hired:
- Our commitment to accessibility, including the motivation for, and requirements of, various accessibility standards, and how to design from the ground up for users with disabilities (especially visual impairments).
- The creativity and artistry of the Desmos community and our goals for showcasing that brilliance in our design story.
- How our design process relies on collaboration across teams - all who approach problems with curiosity and an eagerness to experiment and iterate.
- Our 1-year goals and our long-term aspirations.
Within your first month, you’ll:
- Spend time getting to know our small, mighty team (there’s roughly 20 of us today!) and the ways we work together.
- Share design concepts with other members of the team, asking for, and incorporating, feedback into all stages of that process.
- Build on our current design language to create visuals to communicate about our annual Global Math Art Contest.
Within your first three months, you’ll:
- Collaborate with members of the product and engineering teams to design and develop a new user-facing feature.
- Organize and build on design assets and templates in Figma so other internal teams can be consistent in the branding choices they make across their functions.
- Work closely with our support and engagement team to design resources (e.g. new swag and social media assets) to teach our users and partners about our products.
Within your first year, you’ll:
- Play a significant role in strengthening our vision for a consistent brand identity and user experience across our products and in our interactions with the community.
- Participate in events to get to know our users and better understand their needs and goals.
- Design visuals across all aspects of our business including original icons, UI elements, website graphics, and branding materials.
- Take a vacation to recharge. We do our best work when we’re happy and well-rested.
As part of the team, you’ll receive:
- Competitive compensation. Every full-time member of the team receives generous stock and salary compensation as well as a 401(k) match of up to 5% of annual salary.
- Great benefits. We offer medical, vision, dental, short-term disability, long term disability, and life insurance. We also offer Medical and Dependent Care FSAs, a minimum of 30 days off (including 19 full-company holidays), and more!
- Work-life balance. We’re a fully remote team, and we encourage time shifting. We value results over hours and sustainable, long-term success over short-term wins.
- Ownership and influence. As a member of a small team with few external stakeholders, each person here plays a major role in defining our policies, goals, culture, and benefits.
Does this sound like a role you could see yourself in? Submit an application with your resume and a link to your design portfolio.
About Desmos Studio PBC
Desmos Studio is a Public Benefit Corporation with a goal of helping everyone learn math, love math, and grow with math. We believe that everyone has an inner mathematician and that some people haven’t been given the opportunity, encouragement, or tools to discover theirs. So we prioritize equity and accessibility at every level of our work.
Our free suite of math tools, including our Graphing Calculator, is used annually by over 75 million people around the world. Those tools help people represent their ideas mathematically, connect different representations dynamically, make conjectures, and then develop entirely new ideas. They also result in some pretty spectacular art.
We partner with the world’s most popular curricula and learning software, and with the majority of U.S. state-level assessments and digital college entrance exams.