Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the third time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating (4.7 out of 5!) reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
We’re looking for a talented and experienced UX/UI Web Designer to join our Web Experience team to help take the Alation digital experience to the next level. This role will be the founding UX/UI team member on the web experience team, enabling them to define our ongoing strategy as well as set the bar for performance. As the UX/UI Web Designer, you’ll lead the conceptualization, development, and execution of digital assets for many teams across the organization. You will work closely with other designers, developers, and product managers to create best-in-class digital experiences that meet go-to-market business objectives while ensuring the Alation brand remains cohesive through it all. Your responsibilities will also include designing and maintaining web-oriented materials, such as corporate websites, microsites, social media, and emails, while collaborating with the marketing and development teams. This is a hands-on UX/UI Design role, and the ideal candidate must be able to create beautiful final designs that are ready to move into development.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Design and develop intuitive user interfaces for web applications.
- Collaborate with product managers, developers, and other stakeholders to understand project requirements and translate them into user-centered design concepts.
- Conduct user research, gather user feedback, and incorporate findings into the design process to create optimal user experiences.
- Create wireframes, prototypes, and mockups to communicate design ideas and interactions effectively.
- Implement and maintain design systems, style guides, and UI component libraries to ensure consistent and cohesive user experiences across products.
- Collaborate closely with our back-end developer to integrate front-end code with server-side logic and databases.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years of experience. Additional experience in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum Experience: 2+ years of demonstrable work experience in UI/UX design preferably in comparable industry.
- Proficiency in design tools such as Adobe XD, Sketch, Figma, or similar software.
- Experience with front-end frameworks and libraries like Angular, React, or Vue.js.
- Familiarity with version control systems (e.g., Git).
- Strong UI and digital design background with a user-centric problem-solving approach
- Knowledge of front-end development (HTML/CSS) and the ability to provide practical feedback to Development teams
- Experience with user research, usability testing, and data analysis.
- Have a positive can-do attitude which allows you to thrive in a collaborative, rapidly-growing, fast-paced environment
- Read this entire posting and put a link to a gif of a puppy or kitten (your pick) doing something cute in your cover letter (we’re not into trick questions, but attention to detail in this role is pertinent).
- Have excellent communication and project management skills—you’re not afraid to speak up and ask questions, but always #listenlikewerewrong. #companyvalues.
Nice To Have:
- Experience using Contentful, Unbounce, or similar CMS systems.
- You’re a wordsmith—you love to write and can copy-edit in your sleep.
- Bonus points if you’ve worked at an agency and have developed UX/UI designs for clients.
- You have an understanding of conversion rates and know how to visually optimize paid ads to the fullest.
- To be considered for this position, you must submit a portfolio that showcases your visual style and work history in web, campaign, and app design.
- Submissions without portfolios will not be considered.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!