Strava is the leading subscription platform at the center of connected fitness, with more than 100 million community members in over 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love, and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
Strava’s Design Team advocates for our community members and our business, setting and executing the vision for our product to connect athletes to what motivates them and helps them find their personal best. We use design, research, data, strategy, and empathy to guide cross-functional teams toward our common goal of becoming the preeminent platform for athletes. It is important to us to include diverse perspectives and empower our teams to do great work.
We are a subscription-based, consumer-facing business, so this role requires empathy with Strava’s community to fuel their long-term happiness as well as our long-term business impact. We are interested in speaking with you if you’re an experienced product designer dedicated to designing impactful, value-additive solutions. If you are the kind of designer who thrives in a collaborative environment and jumps at the opportunity to tackle new challenges, Strava is the place for you. Our products bring joy and inspiration to a diverse community around the world, and there is so much opportunity ahead for us!
As a Staff Product Designer, you will lead multiple projects of significant scope, complexity, and responsibility in creative vision/strategy and execution. You’ll work closely with teams to identify user needs and problems and define optimized end-to-end user journeys. You’ll collaborate closely with the design, product, data, and engineering teams to deliver the best-in-class experience for Strava’s users.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Lead and execute across all phases of the design process from vision to implementation
- Lead multiple complex and large-scale strategic projects that are deemed business critical
- Develop hypotheses and execute experiments that improve our customers’ experience
- Have a direct and easily attributable impact on our business growth
- Demonstrate a strong understanding & implementation of the internal design process
- Identify and design impactful product improvements
- Partner with the research team, and use research techniques, competitive analysis, and data to inform strategic and tactical design decisions
- Collaborate with partners in product, engineering, marketing, and analytics to help identify problems and opportunities and help shape the strategic vision
- Help drive alignment of different cross-functional partner and stakeholder perspectives toward a single direction
- Mentor designers and raise the quality bar across design and product
You will be successful here by:
- Embracing an inclusive, collaborative environment that elevates a diverse set of voices and experiences.
- Applying systems thinking approach to problem-solving
- Clearly and simply articulating your design decisions and connecting your design decisions back to team goals and objectives
- Guiding the vision for the product and achieving it through design explorations, documentation, and presentations
- Participating in qualitative research and quantitative analysis
- Producing detailed specs for your interaction models and UI and collaborating with engineers
- Being seen as a mentor for other designers and providing feedback and finding ways to improve their work
We’re excited about you because you have:
- Minimum of 7 years of experience designing and shipping products and features from inception to launch
- A portfolio that showcases what you’ve shipped and the impact it had
- Designed and shipped experiences for both web and native mobile apps
- Advance knowledge of the end-to-end product design process, demonstrating a command of product strategy, distilling the jobs to be done for the users, journey mapping, information architecture, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high-fidelity designs
- Proven the power of design to drive business impact
- Passion for testing ideas, taking smart risks, and learning from them
- Experience working in an Agile software organization, in cross-functional teams/pods /vertical teams
Strava is Swedish for “strive” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.