GitHub is looking for an experienced Staff Design Manager to lead a group of Designers working to bring our brand to life through visual design, web experiences, and systems. The Brand Studio team is responsible for strategizing and executing on new visual identities, smart campaigns, strategic landing pages, branded themes, and in-product experiences. You’ll be mentoring designers and influencing the brand direction as a whole. Collaboration is the key to GitHub’s success, and you will work closely with other designers, project managers, engineers, and company stakeholders to propose design solutions that ensure a successful outcome.
What we are looking for:
Managers at GitHub are people managers and provide technical leadership, so we look for candidates with IC experience in the same field as the people they will be managing. For this specific role we're looking for someone who values the following:
- Systems thinking: Our team has to apply decisions holistically, making sure to look at new patterns in context to the larger system of the product, as well as ensuring we support experiences for individual features.
- Inclusive design: GitHub is a home for all developers and our design system should reflect that., This means including and learning from people with a range of perspectives. Designing for inclusivity first can lead us to solve problems for the many and open up our product for more people.
- Creating together: Getting to the right result is our focus. This can come from brand designers or site engineers, and ideally both. Facilitating collaboration between teams and individuals is key so that we continue to evolve the design system alongside the needs of our customers.
- Progress and impact: Our team often works on the meta and so it's easy to get caught up in the design details. We have to be mindful of this and ensure we keep making decisions and move forward. This means being solutions-oriented and prioritizing progress over correctness when it's the right call.
- Candidness: We encourage candidness and recognize its role in building trust between managers and reports and with peers and leadership. It can take time and effort to get there, but it's worth it. Making decisions for projects, design patterns, and processes will yield better results when we can get to the “real talk”.
- Lead a team of designers to craft brand experiences that are deeply authentic to our developer audience and consistently meet quality standards.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging.
- Provide regular feedback and direction to your team.
- Partner with design and marketing leadership to prioritize a roadmap that will allow our brand to scale and effectively hit business goals.
- Ensure your team regularly ships agreed-upon deliverables, looking to exceed expectations when opportunities arise.
- Ensure the team, the company, and the community has a clear understanding of the direction of projects and the reasoning behind decisions.
- Build impactful relationships with marketing, product, and other cross-functional partners you’re working with.
- Live by a growth mindset, constantly finding ways to improve process and tooling to gain efficiencies
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing, and advancing in their respective careers.
- Recruit and onboard new designers to your team.
- 3+ years experience managing a distributed design team at a fast paced company or agency
- Ability and experience in leading the implementation of complex brand redesigns, websites, and campaigns
- Experience strategizing, advocating for, and executing new brand ideas and roadmaps that create energy and bring clarity to your team and stakeholders
- Passionate about fostering healthy team culture and individual growth
- Ability to understand broad and complex problems and distill them down into an actionable set of deliverables
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading brand initiatives focused on developer audiences
- You’ve used GitHub before or are familiar with modern developer workflows
Minimum salary of $118,100 to maximum $313,300.
In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
These pay ranges are intended to cover roles based across the United States. An individual's base pay depends on various factors including geographical location and review of experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant. At GitHub certain roles are eligible for benefits and additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States.