It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of nearly 900 million. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process trillions of data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in?Yahoo Search is one of the most highly-scaled web platforms on the planet, serving over 100 million global users every month across Yahoo branded sites and partner networks. We move fast, take risks, and are relentlessly focused on engineering excellence. We are hiring the world-class engineers who love to build robust and scalable software systems to meet our incredibly ambitious user experience, relevance, performance, and revenue goals.
Yahoo search team develops and maintains the high traffic, low latency systems that handle billions of search requests from a variety of clients, including mobile, desktop and web etc. The team is responsible for the runtime systems and offline data pipelines, from query planning, understanding & intent detection, various Card/DD (Direct Display) triggering, results ranking/slotting/rendering, to summarizing content using AI etc. on web and vertical searches. These systems have direct impacts on search user experience and user engagement among Yahoo contents and various verticals e.g. News, Sports, Finance, Shopping, Entertainment, Travel, Local, Game etc.
What We Do and What You’ll Learn -
- Build automated data pipelines and high throughput backend API serving for query auto-completion, query understanding, natural language processing, DD/card triggering, DD/card slotting, and revenue optimization capabilities
- Learn and gain a deep understanding of data extraction, machine learning model training, evaluation, and serving etc.
- Learn and become an expert in information retrieval techniques to build user experiences in major search domains like Local, Entertainment, Sports, Finance and Product/Shopping etc.
- Develop software that powers experiences on smartphones, tablet, and desktop to drive growth in audience, engagement, and revenue globally.
- 4+ years of experience in building large-scale, highly scalable systems
- Experience with Java and Python (Mandatory), C++ (Optional)
- Experience in API development and web development
- Experience in data mining or machine learning using tools such as Hadoop, Spark and/or Tensorflow etc.
- BS in Computer Science, MS, PhD or equivalent experience
- Experience in search engine development
- Experience in natural language processing e.g. word embedding
- Experience in large scale data analysis/mining, text processing
- Experience in high QPS, multi-distributed systems, middleware development
- Experience in microservices system development, containerized application
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
The compensation for this position ranges from $128,250.00 - $266,875.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.