For people drawn to serving others through their work, PSCU is a place to thrive, as we serve our credit union members best by taking care of each other first.
PSCU is a proud recipient of the 2023 Gallup Exceptional Workplace Award and has been named to the Forbes list of America’s Best Midsize Employers 2023! These recognitions reflect the strength of our culture and core values, which help PSCU grow, evolve and foster a highly engaged workforce.
If you want to help shape an industry, challenge yourself, and invest in your own future, this is the place for you. PSCU is a highly accessible environment where you’re empowered to think on your feet, work from your heart, and discover the very best version of your professional and personal self. “Our Momentum. Your Moment.”
This application is the first step in seizing your moment.
This role serves as a Software Engineer III within PSCU Emerging Services division as a developer and technology thought leader for software development and integration work necessary for delivery of robust, secure, scalable, and stable applications and systems for new and existing products. This individual must have a long-term technology vision, foster innovation, and support and mentor others. As a lead technical expert on multiple projects, the Software Engineer III designs sound application architecture, and develops software and systems according to standards they help govern. They will be the lead technology champion for strategic initiatives and will be responsible for analyzing complex challenges and implementing sound enterprise solutions.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Robust Applications: will be capable of optimal operation under significant load Code design and development will include a minimum of 80% automated unit test coverage of all code written. Undergo positive and negative unit testing as well as accompany artifacts of test results - Undergo peer code and design reviews to ensure quality and compliance with standards - Implementation of appropriate error-handling and logging of application abnormalities in application logs and user interface. - Comply with high availability, disaster recovery, business continuity requirements, and best-practice as set by PSCU-ITS enterprise standards - Result in intuitive, easy to follow, and informative end-user experience.
Secure: Developed code will follow secure application principles and comply with all PSCU security and compliance standards. - All application code will be subjected to and in compliance with security and static analysis testing prior to implementation.
Scalable: Developed code has high degree of object orientation to facilitate reuse - Growing amount of usage volume does not degrade expected application performance - Developed application is capable of scaling up throughput via resource expansion and deployment of multi-instances of the application - Developed code leads to minimal long-term technical debt; Technical debt defined as poor-evolving software, which can include but is not limited to end-of-life frameworks, design patterns, ailing architecture, poor object orientation, and lack of appropriate re-usability.
Stable: Developed code fulfills the requirements as specified in the Business, Functional, and Technical Designs: Take into consideration other possible permutations of business logic surrounding each requirement - Near zero early-life failures based on factors caused directly by application coding defects - Take into consideration the entire technology ecosystem when designing and building solutions (hardware, application servers, production support, change management, enterprise architecture & platforms, SDLC, etc.).
- Design and develop solutions according to professional software engineering best practices and account for operational worthiness and sustainability.
- Lead and collaborate with other programmers, analysts, and business stakeholders.
- Deliver and deploy solutions, ensuring that they are on time, within budget, and to the required standard.
- Communicate effectively and professionally in both verbal and written formats to a technical and business audience.
- Create and deliver presentations to management regarding proposed solutions.
- Analyze systems, processes, and complex data structures to develop application systems to meet the needs of the business.
- Play a leadership role in the creation and governance of application development standards.
- Foster innovation to improve on existing challenges and realize new opportunities.
- Support both agile and waterfall development methodologies.
- Work as a hands-on partner with other PSCU IT groups concerning enterprise directions and standards.
- Accountable to deliver software development artifacts (technical design, technical training artifacts, production support handoff checklists, operational runbooks, and other related artifacts).
- Design sound application architecture per standards and be accountable to applicable artifacts concerning technical design, technical training artifacts, production support handoff checklists and related artifacts.
- Drive data structure and API service design and coordinate with related teams to optimize and implement.
- Responsible for final approval and sign off on designs and application deliverables.
- Work as a leader with other technical and business staff (onsite and offshore) to ensure successful development, deployment, connectivity and compatibility between systems.
- Research and recommend hardware and software development, purchase, and use.
- Collect information to analyze and evaluate existing or proposed systems (technical expert for proof of technology or proof of concept efforts).
- Research, plan, install, configure, troubleshoot, maintain and upgrade application systems.
- Prepare complex flow charts and diagrams outlining systems capabilities and processes.
- Knowledge of application governance, security, and regulatory procedures and protocol.
- Continually seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Conduct technical research on system upgrades to determine feasibility, cost, time required, and compatibility with current system.
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed by the network.
- Adhere to all established change management processes.
- Lead one or more projects working closely with project managers to plan and execute the development team’s tasks, workflow, and support activities.
- Determine resource requirements (skill sets and project roles of team members) based on requirements, timeframes, and budget.
- Assist in project delivery through organization of work, removing roadblocks, bridging the gap between teams, mentoring others, and regular review of work product to meet requirements, timelines, and budget.
- Stay up-to-date on industry technologies and software that apply to PSCU’s business model and play hands-on development role in implementing such technologies and software.
- Develop and govern highly efficient coding standards and software development processes that align to PSCU SDLC.
- Lead peer code reviews and mentor others to ensure sound application design and quality deliverables.
- Engage with technology-centric user community internal and external to PSCU and remain abreast of trends and technologies.
- Possess knowledge of and continuously drive towards innovation-centric projects or technologies through POC and demonstrative implementations.
- Accountable to provide and deliver within original project estimates as well as provide higher confidence LOE once solution design is finalized.
- Availability to be on-call.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Seven (7) years professional work experience in software development
- Two (2) years of experience as a subject matter expert and technology thought leader across multiple skill and application areas.
- Experience in adoption of open source solutions is desired
- Experience with diverse coding environments, Java, and .NET technologies, employed within front and back end solutions
- Strong understanding of XML, scripting languages, automation, search indexing products, content management, and general knowledge of IBM WebSphere product line (MQ, IIB/ACE, DataPower, Former HCL Portal / WCM, WAS ND, etc)
- Thorough knowledge and experience with modern front-end web technologies as well as RESTFUL API integration and DevOps pipeline automation
- Experience with implementing and supporting Internet commerce and FinTech systems
- Experience with Agile and DevOps collaboration and orchestration toolsets (Atlassian suite preferred)
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, related technology field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Demonstrate behaviors based on PSCU values: Excellence, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Trust, and Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Expert proficiency in multiple modern programming languages, application frameworks, web services, and standard design patterns is required.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of DEVOPS processes including automated build and unit testing, quality analysis tools, testing frameworks, and deployment automation tooling is required.
- Expertise in design and implementation of complex integrations with financial backend systems is required
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written formats and give presentations utilizing various audiovisual support aids
- Ability to be the team lead for multiple projects, work in fast-paced environment, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in making decisions
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet computer software applications
- Ability to travel as needed to successfully perform position responsibilities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of materials handled
- Ability to be flexible and work under high pressure in a complex environment
- Ability to work with minimal management oversight
- Ability to be both a team and technology leader for enterprise projects, decisions, and initiatives
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a broader non-technical audience
PSCU is committed to pay equity and a competitive benefits package. The hiring amount for this position based on relevant experience and internal equity; the pay range is:
*Note: The amount shown is based on full time annual salary and would be prorated based on role.
In addition this position is eligible for an incentive plan, based on performance.
At PSCU, everything we do recognizes the fact that our employees are our most important asset. That’s why we are committed to a work/life integration that goes above and beyond to ensure that you have quality time at home with your family and/or to pursue outside interests and aspirations. We back this up with generous PTO, the opportunity to work remotely, flexible scheduling, and a management team that understands how to adjust when the unexpected curveballs of life happen.
Check out the comprehensive benefits PSCU has to offer that further solidifies our reputation as a company that just “gets it” when it comes to balancing life’s planned and unplanned events while equipping you with all the tools for growth.
- Beautiful, state-of-the-art campus
- Endless opportunities for advancement
- Competitive wages
- Generous paid time off and paid holidays
Our benefits package includes:
- Medical with telemedicine, no-cost diabetes supply program, and expert medical opinion services
- Dental and Vision
- Basic and Optional Life Insurance
- Company Paid Disability Insurance
- 401k (with employer match)
- Health Savings Accounts (HSA) with company provided contributions
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Supplemental Insurance
- Legal Plan
- Pet Insurance
- Adoption Assistance Plan
- Mental Health and Well-being: Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Mental health and Well-being: Virtual mental health support and resources
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Wellness program
- Back-up child care program
- Benefits are subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, contribution, and other requirements and conditions.