About the role
You’ll be joining an engineering team that is responsible for the care and feeding of a high performing, reliable, secure, and scalable technology platform. This platform integrates best of the breed SaaS solutions in a cloud native environment with complex architecture. We are looking for an experienced Engineer who is Strategic, Passionate, and who will be the Security Liaison across various engineering teams. An Engineer who is super technical, understands Security protocols, and has experience implementing AWS Security hub and legacy on-prem applications.
What you’ll do in this role
- You are technical, understand code patterns, will code, do code reviews and code approvals.
- You will write clear technical documentation for the deliverables.
- You will be responsible for implementing and driving security for applications in Symetra. This includes legacy and new digital apps.
- You have deep understanding in technologies (OAuth, SAML, JWTs) will help to solve problems.
- You will drive discussion for implementing architecture and design patterns for Authentication and Authorization (fine grain/coarse grain) systems.
- You will design and drive discussions for distributed architecture.
- You understand and support architecture team who works on AWS IaaS platform uses reverse proxy, API Gateway, and other architecture patterns.
What we offer you
“If you want to invest in yourself and build a career, this is a great place to work. If you don’t want to put in the effort to learn the industry and become a student of the business (it takes real effort!), there are easier places to work.” Cris H. - AVP Internal Sales, Training and Development
“Symetra is inclusive of all employees regardless of their personal differences.” Darrell J. - Actuary III
“Symetra values learning. Symetra has so many resources - whether that is the Student of the Business courses, sponsorship of professional certifications, or just individual employees being so willing to teach and answer questions.” Felicia D. - Financial Reporting Lead Senior Analyst
Benefits and Perks
We don’t take a “one-size-fits-all” approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are designed to make your life better both at work and at home.
- Flexible full-time or hybrid telecommuting arrangements
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of immediate vesting and company matching up to 6%
- Paid time away including vacation and sick time, flex days and ten paid holidays
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching
Want more details? Check out our Symetra Benefits Overview
Salary Range: $117,900- $196,500 plus eligibility for the company annual bonus program.
Your education, skills and experience
- 5+ years of software development experience as an engineer in an agile environment with excellent design, problem solving, debugging skills and devops
- 4+ years of hands-on coding experience in Python
- 2+ years of experience with ForgeRock Journey development and administration
- Well-versed in AuthN and AuthZ protocol, architecture and concepts.
- Good understanding of Gateways, reverse proxy, MFA, tokenization, SSL, OAUTH, SAML protocols, and app authentications.
- Track record of meeting deadlines and delivering high quality results.
- You understand OpenAPI specifications, Swagger, Postman and SQL/No-SQL databases.
- Experience integrating IDP for CIAM scenarios and migrating applications.
- Experience with AWS Fargate, AWS RDS, Route 53, ACM, Security groups and Cloud formation is strongly preferred
- You are experienced in analyzing, planning, designing, and owning complex or vaguely defined issues
- Excellent communication skills with technical and non-technical peers with a customer focus
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) and/or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) is nice to have.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, preferred
We empower inclusion.
At Symetra, we aspire to be the most inclusive insurance company in the country. We’re building a place where every employee feels valued, respected, and has opportunities to contribute. Inclusion is about recognizing our assumptions, considering multiple perspectives, and removing barriers.
We accept and celebrate diverse experiences, identities, and perspectives, because lifting each other up fuels thought and builds a stronger, more innovative company. We invite you to learn more about our efforts here.
Creating a world where more people have access to financial freedom.
Symetra is a national financial services company dedicated to helping people achieve their financial goals and feel confident about the future. In our daily work, we’re guided by the principles of Value, Transparency and Sustainability. This means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and openly so people understand what they’re buying, and we design products—and operate our company—to stand the test of time. We’re committed to showing up for our communities, lifting up our employees, and standing up for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Join our team and help us create a world where more people have access to financial freedom.
For more information about our careers visit: www.symetra.com/careers
Employer work visa sponsorship and support are not provided for this role. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at hire and must maintain authorization to work in the United States throughout their employment with our company.