Phaidra is building the future of industrial automation.
The world today is filled with static, monolithic infrastructure. Factories, power plants, buildings, etc. operate the same they’ve operated for decades — because the controls programming is hard-coded. Thousands of lines of rules and heuristics that define how the machines interact with each other. The result of all this hard-coding is that facilities are frozen in time, unable to adapt to their environment while their performance slowly degrades.
Phaidra creates AI-powered control systems for the industrial sector, enabling industrial facilities to automatically learn and improve over time.
- We use reinforcement learning algorithms to provide this intelligence, converting raw sensor data into high-value actions and decisions.
- We focus on industrial applications, which tend to be well-sensorized with measurable KPIs — perfect for reinforcement learning.
- We enable domain experts (our users) to configure the AI control systems (i.e. agents) without writing code. They define what they want their AI agents to do, and we do it for them.
Our team has a track record of applying AI to some of the toughest problems. From achieving superhuman performance with DeepMind’s AlphaGo, to reducing the energy required to cool Google’s Data Centers by 40%, we deeply understand AI and how to apply it in production for massive impact.
Phaidra is based in the USA but 100% remote; we do not have a physical office. We hire employees internationally with the help of our partner, OysterHR. Our team is currently located throughout the USA, Canada, UK, Norway, Italy, Portugal, and India.
**Please only apply to one opening. If you are a better fit for another opening, our team will move your application. Candidates who apply to multiple openings will not be considered.**
Who You Are
Phaidra is looking for a driven Senior Software Engineer to be a part of our Infrastructure team. You are bold and creative, and have deep empathy for customers who may not be tech-savvy. You will work directly with our Infrastructure lead to build and maintain world class infrastructure. You will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact with your work and guide the product and team as we grow.
We are seeking a team member located within one of the following areas: USA
The ideal candidate has expertise building self service Internal Developer Platforms for deploying and managing cloud infrastructure on AWS/GCP/Azure and ideally Kubernetes Operators. Your responsibilities will touch on building Developer Portals, Developer Experience & Tooling Infrastructure Engineering and DevOps. Your work will empower developers to be self sufficient in infrastructure related operations.
- You will build an internal developer portal and tooling for abstracting infrastructure with a self service approach.
- You will work closely with developers to identify infrastructure pain points and build the platform accordingly
- You will help build and manage infrastructure for:
- Large-scale data ingestion and processing.
- Distributed model training, evaluation and inference.
- Automating the end-to-end system for continuous improvement and deployment.
- You will work with cloud services like AWS, Azure, GCP.
- You will work with Cloud Native technologies like Kubernetes.
- You will help build CI/CD pipelines and take part in DevOps duties.
- You will write and maintain tooling and documentation for infrastructure, supported applications and processes.
- You will apply SRE principles for observability, automation and change management.
- Build and maintain cross-functional relationships with internal teams to drive initiatives.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Proven software engineering experience, ideally with Python or Go.
- Experience with Internal Developer Platform products such as Backstage, Port or Upbound.
- Experience working with developers with a focus on infrastructure automation.
- Proven experience automating Cloud on AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Experience developing Kubernetes Operators and general Kubernetes related automation.
- Good understanding of Linux-based Operating Systems, Containerisation and Orchestration technologies like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Good understanding of DevOps and SRE principles.
- Experience with Terraform or other configuration management tools like Jsonnet, Kapitan, Helm or Kustomize.
- Share our company values: curiosity, ownership, transparency & directness, outcome-based performance, and customer empathy.
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform & Kapitan
- Gitlab CI, ArgoCD, Atlantis, Vercel
- GCP - GKE, PubSub, CloudSQL, BigTable, Postgres, etc.
- REST & gRPC micro-services
- Poetry, Pantsbuild
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience with Software Engineering.
- Experience developing Internal Developer Platforms and tooling.
- Expertise with multi and hybrid cloud environments.
- Expertise with some parts of our tech stack is a big plus.
- Experience in automating scalable multi-tenant systems architectures with high availability, fault tolerance, performance tuning, monitoring, and statistics/metrics collection.
In your first 30 days...
- You will be immersed in an onboarding program that introduces you to Phaidra and our product.
- You will spend time in the Engineering org, learning how the teams operate, interact, and approach problems.
- You will read various parts of our handbook and familiarize yourself with the documentation culture at Phaidra.
- You will set up your development environment and start working on an onboarding exercise that will introduce you to various parts of our code and infrastructure base.
- You will learn about how we use agile and be able to navigate our sprint boards and backlogs.
- You will learn about various team standards and development & release processes.
- You will start to learn about our system architecture and infrastructure.
By your first 60 days...
- You will have a solid understanding of what Phaidra does and how we do it.
- You will have met with team members across Phaidra and started building relationships that will help you be successful at your job.
- You will have completed the onboarding exercise and will be on your way to completing your first production task.
By your first 90 days...
- You will have been fully integrated in the team and with team members across the company.
- You will get a more in-depth understanding of our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will have completed your first on-call experience helping monitor and improve our production environments.
- You will have become an expert with our tooling.
- You will have started to contribute to knowledge sharing throughout Phaidra.
- US Residents: $150,000-$210,000
This position will also include equity.
These are best faith estimates of the base salary range for this position. Multiple factors such as experience, education, level, and location are taken into account when determining compensation.
Benefits & Perks
- Fast-paced and team-oriented environment where you will be instrumental in the direction of the company.
- Phaidra is a 100% remote company with a digital nomad policy.
- Competitive compensation & equity with an early exercise option.
- Outsized responsibilities & professional development.
- Training is foundational; functional, customer immersion, and development training.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance (exact benefits vary by region).
- Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 20 days off per year requirement.
- Paid parental leave (exact benefits vary by region).
- Home office setup stipend and company MacBook.
- Monthly internet reimbursement.
On being Remote
We are thoughtful about remote collaboration. We look to the pioneers - like Gitlab - for inspiration and best practices to create a stellar remote work environment. We have a documentation-first culture and actively practice asynchronous communication in everything we do. Our team stays connected through tools like Slack and video chat. Most teams meet daily, and we have dedicated all-hands meetings bi-weekly to build strong relationships. We hold virtual team building events once per month - and even hold virtual socials to watch rocket launches! We have a yearly in-person, all-company summit in locations like Seattle, Athens, Goa, and Barcelona.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Phaidra is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Phaidra is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. We welcome diversity and strive to maintain an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance with completing the application process, please contact us at [email protected].
Phaidra participates in E-Verify, an employment authorization database provided through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA). As required by law, we will provide the SSA and, if necessary, the DHS, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization for those residing in the United States.
Additional information about E-Verify can be found here.