Software & AI Grant Writer
Life Sciences Grant Writer sought with successful experience and expertise in the applied and translational aspects of general software/hardware, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML) that are a key part of an actual product to address a relevant unmet need.
This role writes winning grant applications with rigor, depth, and specifics that convey a compelling story for real-world products and platforms to audiences of both experts and laypersons who review small and medium size business grant applications. We are not looking for a writer who only focuses on the high-level conceptual approach to theoretical product development. Rather, we are looking for a writer who can deliver sufficient detail that resonates with reviewers as to how a practical product is designed, tested, and validated to demonstrate proof-of-concept. The writer must also understand and communicate how the eventual commercial product will be deployed and further developed for a functional and high impact use-case. Elements of content are likely to include how data is generated, managed, and validated and may include the applied use of natural language processing, distributed computing, and overall software pipeline management, among other domains.
Specific aspects of written proficiency, supported by technical capability, in the following areas are needed for effective non-dilutive grant and contract submissions: system level software and hardware architectures; cloud deployed architectures; ML for clustering, classification, and regression tasks; neural networks / multi-layer perceptron models / ensembles; deep neural networks; Natural Language Processing; and others
This role is responsible for working alongside the Program Manager in support of industry-focused clients pursuing funding support. This role will lead the full range of technical activities required to conceptualize, prepare, and deliver grant proposals to NIH, DoD, and other government agencies. The Lead Writer is responsible for producing the highest quality written scientific documents for funding applications and publications, including writing, editing, and proofreading grant proposals, as well as supporting end-clients as they interface with funding agencies. The lead writer must be deadline-driven and able to handle multiple concurrent projects per cycle, each with varying deadlines for execution.
Grant Engine is focused on securing funding for leading companies that have high potential to make a difference in their domain. Our vision is to improve and extend human life by supporting our clients. In this mission, we selectively work with clients whose technology has the potential to significantly improve upon the standard-of-care. In this pursuit, we hold the following core values in high regard: Trust, Customer Success, Excellence Without Bias, Teamwork.
Grant Engine is a leader in our field and continues to build on our vision. We identify innovation from every corner of our company and we are committed to innovation in every facet of our work. Each of us works to get results by employing, or pioneering, cutting-edge techniques in communication and program management to realize our vision. We know that every detail matters. We are committed to successfully delivering on our goals so that our partners can deliver on theirs. Everyone on our team realizes that when clients win, our mission is accomplished.
A key tenet of the Grant Engine team is that we work well together! We trust one another’s judgment and have established an effective team dynamic of delivering on our individual responsibilities to best serve our clients.
This position is part-time or full-time opportunity. Individuals with superior skills and a demonstrated track record will be considered for immediate full-time hire.
Job Title: Grant Writer Software, AI & Machine Learning
Status: Part-time, with a full-time opportunity
- Identify fit between granting agencies’ research needs and the end-client’s product roadmap and technical focus.
- Perform literature/product searches on new ideas to understand and assess novel advancements as they relate to end client’s product roadmap.
- Work closely with technical and business staff in developing and transforming ideas into grant proposals.
- Maintain comprehensive and up to date knowledge of platform technological advances and particular market areas involved in identifying and soliciting grants.
- Draft high quality written grant applications; translate scientific abstracts into lay terms.
- Assist with assembling scientific documents as necessary (e.g., large institutional grants, annual/occasional reports, progress reports for grants admin., etc.).
- May assist with planning and conducting educational courses and workshops.
- All other duties as assigned.
- PhD with artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing background preferred. Postdoctoral fellows with grant writing experience preferred. In lieu of a PhD, Master’s Degree in biomedical engineering, biostatistics, neuroscience, computer science or engineering, or relevant background with direct software or AI/ML experience will be considered.
- Subject Matter Expert in the applied and real-world use of software and AI/ML in a product development and grant-writing domain.
- Minimum 1 year of scientific writing experience, preferably in a healthcare/research/academic environment.
- Proven experience writing grants, including NIH SBIR proposals, and/or experience with other funding mechanisms preferred.
- Technical expertise to include one or more of the following (or similar): system level software and hardware architectures; cloud deployed architectures; ML for clustering, classification, and regression tasks; neural networks / multi-layer perceptron models / ensembles; deep neural networks; Natural Language Processing; among others.
Additional Qualifications and Competencies:
- Critical Evaluation: Measurement and assessment skills objectivity, critical thinking, problem solving, curiosity, inquisitiveness, research methodology, knowledge management, on-line search skills.
- Communication for Impact: Exceptional verbal and written English language communications skills, presentation skills, diplomacy, perceptual objectivity, active listening.
- Relationship Building: Internal and external customer service, objectivity, credibility, confidentiality, proactivity, responsiveness, teamwork and mutual respect.
- Flexibility: Ability to handle changing priorities and multiple deadlines while maintaining high quality of workmanship.
- Ethical Practice: Rapport building, trust building, personal and professional integrity, credibility, professional and personal courage.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Bonus eligible.