At NewRetirement, our aim is to enable anyone to do better by making the most of their money and time. Our comprehensive financial planning platform allows anyone to create a plan and understand how decisions they make today can impact their future. We’re at the precipice of an exciting time at our company. Metrics are moving in the right direction, we’re winning new customers, and we’re optimistic about the future as we grow.
About the Role
We're looking for a Senior Product Designer to work on designing consumer-facing financial planning experiences which are offered both directly to consumers and as a white-label experience to our enterprise clients. Our primary consumer experience has gone through many iterations over the years. As we expand our business, we're looking to make our experience easier for novices to use without losing the nuance required to do the in-depth financial planning our current audience loves. Additionally, we want someone who is going to bring new ideas to the table and isn't afraid to push us outside our comfort zone.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will be:
- Working with our team to design a best-in-class financial planning experience
- Collaborating with partners in product and engineering to determine how to approach iterating our planner experience
- Defining accurate plans for how you’ll tackle the design aspects of projects/engagements
- Employing various research methods and leveraging data to inform design decisions
- Running workshops to elicit ideas, help prioritize, co-create, iterate, and gain alignment.
- Creating user flows, schematics, sitemaps, wireframes, high-fidelity mockups, and prototypes to communicate design direction
- Testing designs to ensure they’re easily understood and easy to use
- Leveraging data to inform design decisions
- Handing off designs to developers, supporting the dev process, and QAing developed designs
- Contributing to our design system
- Presenting design ideas to and gaining alignment from internal and external stakeholders
- Monitoring the impact of changes to the user experience
This is an individual contributor role. Our aim would be to provide you with plenty of opportunities to grow in your career. You will be reporting directly to a design leader who has grown other design teams in the past and has a long track record of coaching designers as they level up.
Who you are
You’re passionate about making sure the designs you deliver are thoughtful and crafted with intention. You know what types of design artifacts/activities to employ in order to gain alignment and move a project forward. You’ve got an eye for detail, and the designs you make demonstrate that you care as much about the little things, as the big.
You like collaborating with and gaining alignment from people with various backgrounds. Your instinct is to show work in progress to design peers and product/engineering partners. You have strong opinions and you’re respectful when challenging assumptions and you give and receive feedback with grace.
Communication & Process
You’re a pro at managing the expectations of those around you. You give transparent estimates on how long work may take and you escalate speed bumps and risks. You know how to balance getting work shipped with crafting work well and you understand how decisions you make will impact a projects short and long term outlook. You’re a clear communicator, you know how to present ideas in a way that elicits the best feedback.
You’re comfortable exploring unknown or complex territory as you work to bring order and delight to user experiences. You lean hard into humility, but you’re confident enough to articulate your P.O.V. and defend the decisions you made as you were designing. You enjoy pushing the boundaries and trying new things. You’re not afraid to challenge those around you, and you know how to get people excited about fresh ideas that challenge norms.
What you bring
- 7+ years of product design experience working on a consumer facing product
- 2+ years designing for or working in fintech, financial services, or another complex and highly-regulated industry
- 3+ years in an agency, studio, or other setting where you worked directly with clients
- A compelling portfolio (or set of work samples) that demonstrate high-quality design work and shows your design process
- UX thinking that considers multiple states and flows
- Experience in all phases of design from ideation through final design
- Exceptional presentation skills and the ability to articulate the intention behind your design decisions
- Experience with usability testing, user research, and making data driven design decisions
- Working knowledge of WCAG 2.1 Accessibility Standards (Level A and AA)
- Ability to execute designs that are consistent with the brand and design system
- Attention to detail and craftsmanship
- Experience with responsive design
- A strong command of design tools, including Figma, Adobe Suite, and Miro
It's a plus if...
- You enjoy financial planning, have done it before, or you're familiar with that space
- You have experienced designing data visualizations or for mobile applications
- You have a working knowledge of AI, how it can be used, and are comfortable talking about the ethics of using AI in various applications
- You've designed white-label experiences before or worked at a company where there was both a consumer and enterprise business
What we offer
- Remote work environment
- Actual work/life balance (unlimited PTO)
- Great health insurance
- 401k matching
- Dental, vision and life benefits
We want to be as inclusive as possible in our hiring process. If you don’t have 100% of what we’re looking for, but feel like you’re pretty close to growing into the role — please still apply. If a candidate has only 80% of the skills but a fantastic attitude and perspective, they might be the perfect fit.
NewRetirement values the unique perspectives and contributions of all individuals and we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds, including and not limited to people of any race, ethnicity, or national origin, individuals with differing abilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, gender minorities, women and people from underrepresented communities.We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for applicants with differing abilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations, please let us know, and we will work with you to meet your needs. We are committed to fostering an environment where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work. If you are comfortable doing so we invite you to share your preferred pronouns in your application.
We're committed to making sure every candidate who applies has their application reviewed by a human and gets a clear response (even if it's a "no"). Our design hiring process includes no white-board challenges and no homework.
This is a fully remote position.