Wanderu is the leading ground travel search in North America and soon the rest of the world. Our mission is to allow people to travel between any two places focusing on the hardest to find modes of transportation primarily bus and train. This is your opportunity to join an exciting, fast-paced startup environment and make a difference in the world, one traveler at a time. We have seen tremendous growth in both sales and new opportunities in 2022 coming out of the pandemic, and we are looking to expand our team to capture this wave of travel demand.
Wanderu is a company that values and promotes diversity, founded by first generation immigrants and led by a 40% female executive team including our CEO. Wanderu is a fully remote company that supports our employee’s choice to find their best fitting work environment.
We hire people who are driven, solutions-focused, and passionate about their work. Our distributed team members never fill a single role and always rise to new opportunities with excitement and curiosity.
We are seeking a bright, resourceful mobile engineer to own our native iOS mobile client. In this role you will be a key owner who will make sure that our iOS mobile client is helping our customers book and experience their perfect travel. This position is hands-on and an opportunity for somebody to own our iOS engineering competency. In this role, you’ll be pushing forward the technical roadmap for our iOS mobile app, engaging in strategic planning, and lead through consensus building with the rest of the tech team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Deliver new product features that empower our travelers using our iOS app.
- Develop services that drive our iOS app
- Take responsibility for the quality and operational stability of the code. Staying up to date with industry best practices.
- Come up with a vision and provide a roadmap to ensure the user experience, scalability, maintainability, feature parity and robustness of our mobile apps.
- Mentor other engineers and advocate for mobile across the company.
- Partner with various stakeholders (e.g., product, design, engineers) to understand the needs of the business and define product requirements.
- At least 6 years of experience as a mobile software engineer on both iOS and Android.
- Proven expertise developing consumer mobile apps (native) in Swift.
- Experience owning a mobile app.
- Extensive expertise with iOS best practices and technologies:
- Swift, Objective-C, UIKit, Storyboards, RxSwift/RxCocoa, Marshal (JSON), Bagel, MVVM
- Hands-on experience integrating applications with REST with an understanding of API design best practices.
- Passion for building scalable software and improving the user experience.
- Product mindset.
- Good understanding to translate designs to a mobile first experience.
- Accessibility, small screen design, tablet design.
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills.
- A sense of ownership, urgency, and pride in your work.
- Solid understanding of the full mobile development life cycle.
- Familiar with Android best practices and technologies:
- Kotlin, Java, Android Views, Kotlin Anko, OkHttp, Eventbus, Room, GSON, Epoxy, Picasso, Calligraphy, Jetpack ViewModels.
- Kotlin coroutines, Material Design and Jetpack libraries
- Converting ideas from Figma into reusable native components
- Common mobile frameworks & technologies:
- Fastlane, Firebase, Gradle/Cocoapods, Lottie
- Additional iOS technologies:
- SwiftUI, HIG
- Mobile UX experience
- A/B testing experience, modularizing features
- Experience owning an app.
- Expertise developing backend services that are performant, fault tolerant, reliable, and secure. Node.js and Python experience with the ability to ramp up on them quickly.
- Knowledge of container services such as Kubernetes and familiarity with public cloud providers such as AWS.