Do you love to work on the latest technologies? Do you want to work at the forefront of Cloud Computing to design, grow and evolve the Azure Network stack, supporting customers from the smallest server-less app to the largest Artificial Intelligence Supercomputers? Do you want to be part of a highly motivated and passionate team that works together to do what it takes for our customers to be successful while having fun and learning along the way?
Azure runs one of the world’s largest networks, and it is growing incredibly fast! Think of any Microsoft service: Teams, Exchange, XCloud, SQL Azure, Office 365. Beyond supporting our customers, our world-class team pushes the envelope into multiple areas of networking. Examples:
- Sonic, the Microsoft led network switch OS: https://sonicfoundation.dev/
- Traffic engineering advancements: https://www.usenix.org/conference/nsdi22/presentation/krishnaswamy
- Performance gains: https://www.usenix.org/biblio-13309
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be engaged on designing, implementing, and integrating services in our physical network stack. These services manage hundreds of thousands of network switches, ensuring uptime, redundancy, predictable bandwidth and latency, and integration with other services support the Azure Cloud.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Collaboration both within and across organizations.
- Ability to mentor others, provide technical leadership, and communicate concepts and plans in broad settings.
- Designs that are grounded on data and that have clear ways to measure performance and benefits.
- Plans that incorporate technical and organizational constraints, optimize for learning fast, mitigate risks, and encourage continuous evolution
- Holds accountability as a Designated Responsible Individual (DRI), working on-call to monitor system/product/service for degradation, downtime, or interruptions, and seeking durable solutions for the problems observed in the production service.
You’ll apply these skills to high-visibility projects that improve the capabilities and reach of our Cloud while continuously reducing operational costs. Like Cloud, our team is distributed, and supports multiple modes of hybrid work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related technical discipline AND 6+ years technical engineering experience with coding in languages including, but not limited to, C#, Java, GoLang, C, C++, RUST, or Python
- OR equivalent experience.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Experience with data analysis.
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals.