To help keep everyone safe, we encourage all applicants to pay close attention to protect themselves during their job search. When applying for a position online you are at risk of being targeted by malicious actors looking for personal data. Please be aware we will only reach out via email using the domain BlueOwl.xyz or HiRoad.com. Anything that does not match those domains should be ignored and considered a security risk.
BlueOwl is a separate company in the State Farm® family of companies and the solutions provider for HiRoad Insurance, an InsurTech brand that recognizes and rewards good choices. Operating independently with the backing of the #1 auto insurer in the country, we blend the best aspects of a tech startup and an industry leader. To see what we’ve helped build so far, check out HiRoad.com.
At BlueOwl, we envision a world where data driven behavior fuels better lives. We started with the reinvention of insurance and a bold mission to create a data science powered platform that actually helps people become better drivers. We aspire to be the best in the business at identifying low-risk drivers by harnessing the power of data with an innovative technology stack.
It’s a big goal, and that’s where you come in. We’re growing a world class team of data science, engineering, design, product, marketing and mobile technologists because we know that the key to success isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s hiring the talented people who will help us make a quantifiable impact.
We are looking to add a Manager of Cloud Platforms, responsible for leading a team of platform engineers to design and build our cloud infrastructure strategy and devops solutions.
- Manage a team of platform engineers responsible for BlueOwl’s cloud infrastructure and deployments
- Execute on the technical direction of our cloud usage in collaboration with stakeholders and partners across the Engineering organization
- Create monitoring framework for financial operations of our cloud ensuring our spend stays within budget projection
- Drive the adoption of modern cloud technologies for our various internal and external solutions
- Execute a cloud governance program ensuring consistent and accepted use of cloud technologies and adherence to compliance and regulatory frameworks
- Implement and report on KPI’s for the productivity of the Cloud Platform team, BlueOwl’s development operations, and the solutions enabling our internal customers
- Consult with Product engineering teams to define problems within the development lifecycle and design and implement solutions to solve them.
- Work with the Platform Architecture team to create and implement standards for the various cloud technologies available to host our workloads
- Advocate on behalf of the Platform Operations team in order to drive our strategies, standards, and philosophies
- Participate in the selection of new devops software and solutions for the company ensuring they meet our technical and functional requirements
- Periodically review our cloud operations to ensure they adhere to current best practices and work with the responsible teams to update as necessary
- Consult with other engineering teams on the implementation of our cloud infrastructure including things such as our networks and security solutions
- Stay current with the latest cloud technologies and DevOps trends making recommendations for adding new capabilities to the approved software list, and create POC/POVs for the organization
- Contribute to the overall vision and strategy of the Platform Operations Team alongside the rest of PlatOps leadership
- Bachelor’s of Science in Computer Science or equivalent relevant experience
- 7 years relevant experience to include:
- 5 years of experience managing cloud infrastructure and/or DevOps focused teams
- 5 years of experience deploying in AWS or other major cloud ecosystems
- 5 years of experience working with PaaS and IaaS hosted solutions
- 5 years of experience working with consumer facing websites and technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to lead discussions and contribute during code reviews
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and great attention to detail
Salary: $258,000 to $337,000*
- Important note: all offered salaries are based on many factors, including experience in a similar role and geographic location of the candidate.
- Benefits: We provide a wide variety of health, wellness and other benefits.These include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and supplemental income plans for you and your dependents, a Headspace app subscription, monthly wellness allowance and a 401(k) Plan with a company match.
- Work from Home Equipment: Given our virtual environment— in order to set you up for success at home, a one-time payment of $2K will be provided to cover the purchase of in-home office equipment and furniture at your discretion. Also, our teams work with MacBook Pros, which we will deliver to you fully provisioned prior to your first day.
- Paid Time Off: All employees accrue four weeks of PTO in their first year of employment. New parents receive twelve weeks of fully paid parental leave which may be taken within one year after the birth and/or adoption of a child. The twelve weeks is applicable to both birthing and non-birthing parent.
- Personal and Professional Development: We’re committed to investing in and helping our people grow personally and professionally. All employees receive up to $5000 each year for professional learning, continuing education and career development. All team members also receive Udemy subscriptions and access to multiple different coaching opportunities through BetterUp.
- Location: We are a remote-first company for most positions so you may work from anywhere you like in the U.S, excluding U.S. territories. Occasional travel may be required for team meetings or company gatherings. Employees based in the San Francisco Bay Area or in Providence, Rhode Island may commute to one of our local offices as desired.
- Hours: We maintain core meeting hours from 9AM - 3PM Pacific time for collaborating with team members across all time zones.