Threadable is an investor-backed early-stage startup in the process of building out an experienced team. We are former academics and tech enthusiasts who won’t shut up about a good book. Our mission is to transform the reading of digital materials (books, documents, etc.) from a solitary activity into a conversational and communal experience. By anchoring conversations in the margins of digital books, Threadable (iOS and web) welcomes readers to come together with experts in virtual salons to build community and exchange ideas.
Since our inception in 2019, we have worked closely with an excellent product design studio that has helped us bring the current iteration of Threadable to market. This year we brought our engineering work fully in-house, and we are now looking for a lead designer.
Our target start date for this role is January 2, 2024.
- Be a kind and professional human being with healthy communication skills 😄.
- Be a productive team player on a small, agile team in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Conduct rapid prototyping and quick design iteration in Figma based on user feedback and changing requirements.
- Prepare and hand-off designs to developers, ensuring assets are mobile-responsive and web-compatible.
- Guide implementation by monitoring development to solve unexpected edge cases and ensure alignment with original designs.
- Demonstrated track record of leading successful design projects in startup or entrepreneurial settings.
- Strong proficiency in Figma.
- Define and execute the overall design vision and strategy for all of our products, including our native mobile and web apps, ensuring consistency and strong brand identity.
- Own the end-to-end design process, including initial strategy and brainstorming, wireframing, prototyping, user testing, and delivery.
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams to understand user needs, business goals, and technical constraints.
- Stay up to date with the latest design trends and best UI/UX practices.
- Conduct regular design reviews of and provide feedback on product development.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, a positive mindset, and a collaborative spirit.
- Commitment to emotional intelligence and healthy communication.
- Personable and community-minded with a passion for learning new hard and soft skills.
Since we are a small and nimble startup, ideal applicants will demonstrate a strong generalist and can-do orientation, excitement about learning new things, and experience taking design from concept to handoff.
- Knowledge of front-end code (HTML & CSS).
- Experience working in early-stage startup environments.
- Familiarity with digital books and reading devices (e.g. Kindle, Nook).
- Experience building products with social features and an interest in the challenges and opportunities of existing social media platforms.
Why Work At Threadable?
- Base compensation of $150-180k (dependent on location and commensurate with experience).
- Individual health, dental & vision benefits.
- Employer-matched Simple IRA plan.
- Flexible time-off policy.
- Ownership over the product.
- Coolest “water cooler” chat: as former academics, we enjoy having ongoing open and respectful conversations about a wide range of topics, including technology, A.I., finance, political economy, language, and history. We love to hear what each of us is currently reading, watching, and nerding out on.
- You will be able to work remotely from anywhere in the U.S. Our founding team is spread out across the country. We are in Boston, Chicago, L.A, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Occasional in-person meet-ups may be planned as needed.
- Work-from-home budget for you to set up your space as needed.
Not sure if you check all the boxes? Job descriptions are tough! We’re looking for smart, motivated, and talented individuals who love a good book; if that’s you, please apply, and we can help figure it out together.
We value a multitude of talents, backgrounds, and perspectives that a truly diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.