Symetra has an exciting new opportunity to join our Technical and Operations team as a Lead Software Developer supporting our Individual Life Insurance Division.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced individual to lead a team of software developers in support of our primary life insurance policy administration system. That system – CyberLife - is a legacy mainframe application that administers the large majority of our life insurance business. We have a very experienced staff of developers, but need help guiding their work to develop new products, expand our capabilities, and move us toward a more digital, real-time processing system.
What you will do
Your day-to-day role will vary between overseeing the work of other developers while completing detailed work of your own. Given that the team is very experienced, your leadership will be higher level and include:
- Working with our Product Owner to prioritize and assign work
- Participating in daily Agile/Kanban ceremonies
- Assessing new requirements to provide high-level estimates
- Designing and documenting system integrations and coding enhancements
- Coordinating the movement of code between our various technical environments
- Supporting resolution of critical production support issues
- Ensuring design and coding best practices are followed
- Mentoring and coaching team members, while providing subject matter expertise
- Building and maintaining APIs to expose real-time data.
Why work at Symetra
Here’s what some of our employees have to say about why they work at Symetra:
“Symetra is a great place if you are looking for the opportunity to contribute, to grow, to be seen and valued.” Vernell K. – Auditor
“We’re big enough to make an impact on the country, but small enough to care and know who you are and what you’re contributing to the organization. All new ideas are welcome!” Stephanie F. – VP Customer Service & Operations
What we offer you
We don’t take a “one-size-fits-all” approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are crafted to make your life better both at work and at home.
- Flexible full-time or hybrid telecommuting arrangements
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of immediate vesting and company matching up to 6%
- Paid time away including vacation and sick time, flex days and ten paid holidays
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching
- Want more details? Check out our Symetra Benefits Overview
Salary Range: $107,200 - $178,700 plus eligibility for annual bonus program.
Who you are
You will need to have experience with CyberLife, Life70 or a similar mainframe policy admin system. Your success will be driven by demonstrating a leadership mindset, supporting a team environment, collaborating across the organization, making good decisions, and being accountable to deliver solutions. You will be empowered to help define your role based on your strengths and career aspirations.
In addition to the above, we’d also like you to have most of the following technical skills:
- Platforms: Mainframe, CICS, WebSphere, AWS
- Languages: COBOL, Assembler, MVS JCL
- Databases: VSAM, DB2, SQL
- Development Tools: TSO/ISFP, Micro Focus COBOL
- Web Services: SOAP and REST APIs
- Others: ACORD, FTP, JSON, XML