We are looking for a technically strong Financial Controller that will have ultimate responsibility for all accounting activities within the organization. This role acts as a strategic thought partner to the Director of Finance in building out the capabilities of the Finance and Accounting team in its role in supporting the growth initiatives at Discogs. The key responsibility of this role is to ensure that accounting activities are performed in compliance with GAAP standards and that all reports are accurate and timely. The responsibility of the Financial Controller is to develop strategic partnerships and collaborate effectively with other departments or external stakeholders to support financial decision-making and business growth. People management responsibilities include leadership and team development and fostering a positive and inclusive work culture.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Leading a team of three accounting staff, this role will be responsible for managing the day-to-day financial operations of the company, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and financial reporting.
- Develops and executes policies, procedures, internal controls, and established best practices related to GAAP compliance and other relevant legislation, financial reporting, general ledger maintenance, budgeting, and financial systems.
- Oversees monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting close processes and coordinates the preparation of financial statements and filings in compliance with GAAP.
- Analyzes financial data and provides timely and accurate financial reports to senior management. Recommends benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance of departments and teams.
- Acts as the owner of the accounting system and related data. Directly responsible for maintaining the accuracy and reconciliation of sales and accounts payable to the general ledger.
- Plays a key role in our implementation of a new online marketplace order management system and any associated integration(s) with Sage Intacct.
- Prepares company for external financial statement audit.
- Identifies and implements tools and technologies that can enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting function. Recommends improvements.
- Provides financial guidance and support to other departments, such as product & engineering, marketing, and operations.
- Manages employee career pathing by coaching, mentoring, and providing effective performance feedback; inspire a culture of learning and development
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience
- 10+ years experience of progressive supervisory experience in public or private accounting.
- 3+ years leading a team.
- CPA certification preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- Experience working at a tech, e-commerce, or online marketplace business.
- Experience working in an international business with foreign subsidiaries and different currencies.
- Experience in leading an accounting team at a growth company.
- External financial statement audit experience, either in public accounting or at a business subject to an annual external audit.
- Experience in balancing hands-on, operational accounting with big-picture, forward-looking strategic financial decisions.
- Meticulous attention to detail, highly organized and transparent.
- Takes a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to develop and mentor others.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships. Ability to influence others. Strategic thinking skills.
- Communicates transparently and resolve conflicts to foster a successful team that encourages the appreciation of diverse perspectives as well as cohesiveness
What We Provide
- Competitive compensation: salary, plus performance-related bonus program
- 401(k) with employer match
- 100% company-paid medical and dental insurance benefits for you and your dependents
- 4 weeks paid vacation, increasing based on tenure
- 18 weeks paid leave for birth moms
- 8 weeks paid parental leave, including for adoption
- Monthly wellness allowance
- Annual professional and personal development allowance
- Work from home office set-up and expense allowances
- Flexible work location opportunities
- Employer matching toward charitable contributions
- Starting Base - $120K - $130K