Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Reddit is continuing to grow our teams with the best talent. This role is completely remote friendly and will continue to be. We do have some Reddit offices and if you are near one you are welcome to go.
Reddit is a platform that both celebrates and benefits from our user’s creativity, and we’re working on a new canvas for them to paint with. Tens of thousands of developers are already building against our API, but we can do so much more.
The Developer Platform team’s goal is to allow communities to find and install plugins that completely customize & transform members’ experiences and interactions. Everything’s on the table, including comment sorting, custom post types, and more. Many communities may become immersive, game-like experiences.
There’s many low-hanging fruit: r/photoshopbattles should have an image gallery, so you don’t have to click your way down the comments. r/nba should have live-updating scores. Meme generators should be everywhere. r/wallstreetbets should have stock tickers. Comments should rank people you interact with higher. Subreddits should be easy to theme.
But there’s also opportunities for exploration and weirdness. What does reddit-style fantasy football look like? Did you lose The Game?
This vision takes everyone on Reddit working together. The Developer Platform team will be building core platform capabilities that will allow us to reach for this vision.
What We’re Working On
- Building multi-tenant APIs for storage, pubsub, schedulers, and orchestration.
- Evolving Reddit’s public API and capabilities towards a cleaner, elegant Developer Experience.
- Building the technical foundation for future features and experiences.
- Building a platform that is highly available, low on latency, and at internet scale.
What We Can Expect From You
- 7+ years of industry experience, preferably in backend, infrastructure, developer tools, or app platforms.
- 2+ years of experience managing engineering teams
- You’re highly technical, enough to solve almost any problem your team has yourself, but you prefer to guide your team into solving them.
- Passion for developing scalable, well-designed software that people love.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. On our team, everyone needs to act like a startup CEO. You must be self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You live to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure.
- Excellent communication skills. You must be able to collaborate effectively with teams in a fully-remote environment, and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Build and manage a team of 7-10 engineers, hiring top-notch individual contributors and giving them room to shine.
- Be a strong mentor and cross-functional advocate for your team.
- Understand team, product, engineering, and company dynamics enough to keep your team focused and effective under a wide variety of conditions.
- Teach your team to make steady progress solving difficult problems.
- Contribute meaningfully to team strategy. We give everyone a seat at the table and encourage active participation in planning for the future. Don’t just come along for the ride.
- Past deep technical contributions
- Experience in influencing the larger organizations on technical direction/best practices.