Updater, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Director of Engineering to join Updater’s Home Platform division.
As a member of the engineering leadership team, you will play a critical role in driving the implementation and delivery of the Updater products, ensuring the stability and scalability of the Updater platform, and creating a culture of collaboration and technical excellence within the engineering team.
If you are passionate about engineering team management, have a drive to level-up your team and want to make a huge impact, this role is for you!
About the Role
- You will lead a team of engineering managers whose teams are responsible for delivering new features and capabilities to Updater’s systems and suite of products. These teams include frontend, backend and quality assurance engineers who collaborate closely with product managers, infosec and infrastructure teams.
- You will work with engineering managers to create highly-functioning engineering teams. High functioning teams deliver on-schedule with velocity increasing and defects decreasing incrementally over time.
- You will work with engineering managers to operate their systems and products in the production environment, and to create a culture of operational excellence.
- You will work with engineering managers and engineers to ensure high-quality technical designs and architecture, and to create a culture of engineering excellence.
- You will work with engineering managers and internal stakeholders (e.g. product management, devops, infosec, etc.) to establish a roadmap and schedule that balances competing demands according to business needs.
- You will recruit and manage the performance of your team, and be expected to hire and develop skilled managers who, in turn, hire and develop skilled engineers.
- You will serve as part of the engineering leadership team and have the opportunity built the culture, the team and the company in line with Updater’s Core Values.
- 5+ years experience managing managers
- 10+ years experience managing engineers and projects
- Experience managing teams of 20+ engineers
- You have a proven track record in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- You have extremely strong software project management skills and experience. Your experience should include familiarity with multiple methodologies and tools, and the knowledge of when to use them appropriately.
- You have technical design and architecture experience, and the ability to facilitate design and architecture processes. You must be skilled at translating complex requirements into technical designs and experienced at working with distributed systems.
- You have experience with commonly used open software software used for consumer Internet applications and services, e.g. Node.js, Rails, AWS, etc. You won’t be asked to write code, unless you want to, but you need to have some familiarity with the technology we use.
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write excellent technical documentation and collaborate with product and business stakeholders.
- You’re experienced and comfortable working in a distributed, asynchronous organization.
Updater makes moving easier for the 12 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV and internet, and much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $450 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, Vista Credit Partners, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater has ranked on Crain’s Best Places to Work in NYC in 2016, 2018, & 2021. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.