Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The Data Scientist will lead the development of appropriate data products for CRS’s program and sector teams, in line with industry best practices. They will work as part of a cross-functional team, identifying opportunities to leverage data science within specific programmatic sectors, leading the search and identification of data sources, supporting the preparation of data, and developing and maintaining relevant data products. They also provide technical assistance to project and sector teams in interpreting and using the results of the analyses. The Data Scientist’s expertise, leadership, and influence will be key in determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ data science practices are across the globe.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities to apply data science to specific projects and sectors
- Lead the search and identification of new data sources, the ingestion, preparation, and onboarding of data for operational and programmatic Use Cases
- Engaging with sector teams, review data collected and make decisions on how to transform data, what approaches to apply when analyzing data, and recommendations for data cleansing
- Lead the development of appropriate data products for CRS’s program and sector teams, following industry best practices and through engagement with sector teams
- Lead the maintenance and development of data products for operational and programmatic Use Cases, ensuring both data and models are functioning properly, and cataloged, accessible, and used appropriately
- Share data insights with to sector and project teams and provide technical assistance in interpreting and using results from data analyses.
- Contribute to the knowledge management and learning agenda in data science through helping implement conditions for collective learning that ensure the capturing, documenting, and sharing of key successes, promising practices, and lessons learned.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal – Colleagues within the Data Science Centre of Practice; Members of the ICT4D team; Regional, country, and project staff; data science colleagues; Senior Advisor for data science; Director and Deputy Director for MEAL; Global and Regional MEAL Technical Advisors
- External - peers in other NGOs, data science consultants
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in mathematics, statistics, or data science
- Minimum five years of work experience as a data scientist or data analyst
- Demonstrable experience with linear algebra, probability theory, and statistical inference
- Demonstrable programming experience with Python or R
- Familiarity with databases and SQL
- Demonstrable experience with machine learning algorithms and ability to solve complex data problems
Required Languages - English, French and/or Spanish is a plus.
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 35%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Very strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Very strong written and oral communication skills, particularly in terms of communicating complex technical approaches to no-technical audiences
- Very strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
Preferred Qualifications – (If applicable)
- Experience working in international development and humanitarian assistance, ideally with an international NGO
- Experience with matrixed reporting and working in fusion teams
- Understanding of technical principles and concepts in program data methods and applications, such as research, monitoring and evaluation, or collection and analysis of data. Knowledge of sectors such as agriculture, health, education, humanitarian response, WASH, and microfinance.
- Experience in the development of data products for project and sectoral teams
- Demonstrated experience of knowledge transfer to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, and other formal and informal methods.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
Agency REDI Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
• Personal Accountability – Consistently takes responsibility for one’s own actions.
• Acts with Integrity - Consistently models values aligned with CRS Guiding Principles and mission. Is considered honest.
• Builds and Maintains Trust - Shows consistency between words and actions.
• Collaborates with Others – Works effectively in intercultural and diverse teams.
• Open to Learn – Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none) None
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.