Tablespoon is a unique blend of accountants, financial consultants, and former restaurant operators who eat, sleep, and breathe the restaurant industry. By combining top shelf accounting services with the latest cloud-based technology, we help multi-unit restaurant owners, operators, and CFOs increase profits and drive business growth.
As an Accounting Manager in our Managed Accounting Services group, you will leverage your technical accounting skills and business acumen to provide restaurant owners and operators with reliable, actionable financial information. This role is responsible for ensuring that all day-to-day accounting tasks and financial statements for assigned clients are completed accurately and on time, while providing exceptional client service.
This role is also responsible for managing a remote team of Staff and Senior Accountants and fostering professional development as a coach and positive role model for the team.
The ideal candidate will have at least 6 years of full-cycle accounting experience, thrive on the challenge and variety of working with multiple clients in a fast-paced environment, and prior experience managing a remote team. Strong organization and communication skills, including the ability to prioritize and delegate tasks and manage competing deadlines, is necessary for success in this role.
The Accounting Manager has significant contact with client personnel, so prior experience in the restaurant industry (especially with restaurant POS and back office systems) and reviewing P&Ls with restaurant operators would be very beneficial.
What you’ll do
- Lead the period-end financial close as the Controller for a group of assigned clients
- Conduct period-end financial review meetings
- Perform technical review of financial statements (Balance Sheet, P&L, and Management Reports) prepared by Senior Accountant
- Analyze financial statements for variances or irregularities and proactively engage with client personnel to resolve
- Ensure accuracy and high quality in all work product and deliverables
- Assist with preparation of budgets, ad-hoc financial reports, and new client onboarding
- Collaborate with internal team to identify opportunities to improve efficiency, streamline processes, and increase client satisfaction
- Train, mentor, and support a team of 3-4 Staff and Senior Accountants
- Provide project management leadership by managing multiple clients, work and deadlines
- Lead/coordinate external CPA / tax preparation support
- Provide exceptional customer service to client personnel and internal team
What you’ll need
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting (CPA is preferred)
- 6+ years of full-cycle GL accounting experience
- 2+ years of experience managing the financial close in a multi-client environment
- Prior experience in public accounting or consulting
- Restaurant, hospitality, or retail industry experience is highly preferred
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and financial statement preparation
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Experience with cloud ERP systems (Sage Intacct, NetSuite, Restaurant365 etc.) a plus
- Collaborative, hands-on approach to managing and developing staff
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional accuracy in work product and communications
- A customer service mentality and “whatever it takes” attitude to ensuring client satisfaction
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Positive attitude and innate desire to help others
- Absolute commitment to integrity and protecting client confidentiality
Since Tablespoon is a virtual firm and this is a remote position, the successful candidate will also need:
- A secure place to work from home with no interruptions
- A reliable high-speed internet connection
- Ability to work independently and self-manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong technology skills and experience working with modern business SaaS applications and communication tools (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Box, etc.)
- Must be comfortable communicating and meeting with clients and team members in a virtual environment (including frequent video meetings)
- Ability to travel periodically for conferences and team meetings
In addition to base salary and bonus, we offer comprehensive benefits including group medical, 401k, PTO, paid training/CPE, and reimbursement for CPA licensing fees.
All applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.