Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet deploys large and complex computing environments to support our mission to image all of Earth’s landmass every day, in order to make global change visible, accessible and actionable. Spanning multiple clouds and data centers worldwide, Planet’s environments scale to allow efficient ingestion of hundreds of satellites generating TBs of data every day. The role of Senior Cloud Platform Engineer will directly impact Planet’s use of computing infrastructure while also deploying modern DevOps services at scale as Planet adds capabilities for missions operations, satellite based data collection and brings new product capabilities to market. This role will develop, champion and implement a roadmap for adding new cloud and DevOps capabilities, services and solutions. The ideal candidate is an experienced cloud platform expert, having successfully deployed multiple enterprise grade infrastructure solutions, applications, products and complex workflows.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Deliver core cloud infrastructure services (networking, security, failover, identity and access management, developer-friendly policies and services) in partnership with Software Engineering, Space Systems and Security
- Deploy, manage and support best practice infrastructure solutions and services that meet business requirements, including security, disaster recovery, high availability, scalability and cost optimization
- Deploy and optimize modern DevOps services, tools and capabilities in support of software development teams worldwide
- Serve as a cloud infrastructure SME across AWS and GCP for company-wide projects and programs. Design solutions and make recommendations based on business requirements, industry trends, enterprise best practices and evolving standards
- Execute appropriate migration of on-prem solutions and services to cloud environments for improved availability and operational resilience
- Improve cost optimization for all cloud deployments as additive to efforts already in place. Collaborate with Data Science, BI, and Software Engineering teams to align cloud spend reporting with company needs for data-informed decisions, both business and technical for AWS and GCP
- Build partnerships and community at multiple levels across the organization to ensure alignment and delivery of the best in class cloud services
- Champion DevOps and SRE practices to iteratively improve end-to-end service delivery, reliability, and performance through metrics, monitoring, automation, and infrastructure-as-code.
- Share in full service ownership by measuring performance, creating alerts, being on call, and responding to incidents and investigating anomalies.
- Author and improve runbooks and documentation, configure dashboards, and find strategies to automate away manual toil
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of software development or IT experience and 5 year of AWS / GCP
- Deep knowledge of modern infrastructure management and site reliability engineering practice, including Infrastructure-as-Code tools (e.g. Terraform, Ansible) and metrics and observability tools (e.g. Splunk, DataDog, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Deep expertise in modern software development tools / ways of working (e.g., git, DevOps tools, metrics / monitoring) and with agile software development environments to provide DevOps services and solutions.
- Application experience of CI/CD implementations using git and a common CI/CD stack (e.g. Jenkins, GitLab)
- Experience with global enterprise networks, including address management schemes, VPN, SD-WAN dynamic routing protocols, switch management and modern network security protocols
- Ability to drive financial strategy and cost optimization for cloud environments
- Ability to work with a global workforce and lead the direction of a distributed team
- Experience building communities of practitioners and fostering partnership in an environment with distributed areas of responsibility.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in Infrastructure as Code (IaC) environments to deploy and operate high performance computing systems at scale
- Demonstrated expertise in successfully Building, Deploying and Supporting Container-based infrastructure, such as Kubernetes, AWS ECS or Google App Engine
- AWS Certifications : Cloud Practitioner, Certified Developer, Certified DevOps Engineer
- Google Cloud Certifications: Foundational / Associate / Professional level certification
- Understanding of ITAR and EAR compliance requirements
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $123,600 - $203,300. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.