Hello, prospective pickle! Design Pickle is looking for a proven, dynamic, and versatile Principal Software Engineer to join the Design Pickle Technology team. As a key team member, you will collaborate closely with product, design, creative operations, and data science & analytics teams to develop a range of services that power the creative process between our customers and the global network of creative talent. You will be responsible for working with a team of engineers to design, develop, test, deploy, and maintain large distributed systems, make critical technology decisions, and work with our customers and creatives to resolve their day-to-day problems.
A successful candidate will have a broad background in software development with strong technical ability, great communication skills, and motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
If you have ever wanted to make a significant contribution and help shape the future trajectory of a high-growth, private equity-backed company, this is the role for you!
Reports to: Engineering Manager
On a daily basis, works closely with:Engineering, Product Management, Product Design, and Data Science & Analytics teams.
Location: Remote. Design Pickle is a fully remote company with a Company Hub in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Who We Are Looking For
First, Design Pickle is anything but typical. We’re a group of hard-working, creativity-loving individuals from around the world.
Do we love pickles, too? Most of us! But don’t stress if pickles aren’t your thing. It’s not a deal-breaker. We do look for a passion and interest in something though because our employees’ uniqueness is what helped make us the great company we are today.
We stand by our vision, purpose, and values, and these are mission-critical to how you show up every single day.
Specific to your role, we’re looking for individuals who have...
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related technical field required, or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years of proven experience in software development
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design principles, data structures, algorithms, SQL/NoSQL, concurrency, and software engineering.
- Experience with AWS
- Demonstrable experience with the development of RESTful APIs, web services, and service oriented architecture.
- Expertise in understanding high-level design and translating it into detailed design artifacts.
- Ability to successfully manage projects, work in a team and independently, and drive initiatives to completion in a cross-functional environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with high attention to detail
- A track record of mentoring team members.
- Passion for our purpose - to be the most helpful creative company in the world.
- Bonus Pickle Points:
- Hands-on AWS experience with production workloads.
- Experience in frontend development, as well as other object-oriented programming languages.
- Knowledge of machine learning or neural networks.
- Experience with agile software development practices.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field.
Key Objectives and Responsibilities
- Be one of the lead engineers with the ability to make a strong impact by leading our public API
- Unique opportunity to shape the team’s technical stack and product usage
- Partner with Engineering and Product Managers to create technical roadmaps.
- You will work to accomplish the team’s mission of building API’s and partner integration.
- Establish a technical baseline and expectations for how to standardize the operation of API’s at DesignPickle
- Develop key performance indicators around performance, security, and incident management
- Lead, mentor, and guide team members through the software development and operation lifecycles
- Partner with stakeholders to help influence change and promote cross-functional communication
- Mentor and grow other engineers by providing thoughtful feedback during all phases of the development lifecycle
- Take an active role in driving backend and developer operation initiatives
- Seek out opportunities to automate processes when appropriate
$160,000 - $180,000 a year
The compensation range for this position $160,000 to $180,000 annually. The actual salary offer to a candidate will be made with mindful consideration of many factors. These factors include but are not limited to skills, qualifications, education/knowledge, experience, and alignment with market data for a given location within the US. In addition to base salary, some positions may be eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonuses or commissions. This salary data is for our US-based positions only.
Benefits, Compensation, And Perks
Uncapped PTO: Hate seeing your PTO hours decrease as the year goes on? Not anymore! There is no cap or number associated with the amount of PTO days you can request.
Major medical healthcare: We offer major medical plans as well as Dental and Vision insurance.
Remote-work flexibility: More productive at home? Not based in Scottsdale, AZ? Fine with us! We are a remote-first company with people all over the country.
401K: Plan for your future with a 401K with a 5% company match.
World-class Company Hub: More productive in an office? Also, fine with us! Our Company Hub is set up with state-of-the-art standing desks, high-definition monitors, breakout rooms for meetings and calls, a podcast studio, a relaxation room, and of course - as much merch as you need.
In-office gym: Our Company Hub also has a small CrossFit-style gym with a Peloton studio available for any pickles to use!
Life-changing massage chair: We change lives through creativity...and massages. Our team has traveled far and wide to take advantage of a life-changing massage chair that is housed in our Company Hub. One massage is all it will take to radically transform your life.
New parent leave: Design Pickle encourages all primary caregivers to take up to 8 weeks leave for a new family member, including adoption, at full salary.
Short Term / Long Term Disability Options
Paid training and personal development: We offer a yearly stipend for employees to continue to grow their skillset and learn things to help them in their careers.
Pet insurance: Have a furry friend? Design Pickle offers pet insurance through United Pet Care for discounted vet visits, medication, and procedures.
Team retreats, social events, and adventures: Pickle collaboration is important to us! We host regular social events, get-togethers, and experiences for our staff.