At Wagepoint, we’re good people. Sure, maybe we’re biased. But that’s only because Wagepointers bring the best versions of ourselves to do some of the best work in our careers.
We’re an authentic team who bring our diverse backgrounds, ideas, experiences and cultures together to make payroll magic. Speaking of, we “pull rabbits out of hats” for 25,000 small business owners across Canada who rely on our payroll software to pay their employees and process their taxes. And we’re just getting started.
We’re growing and looking for more awesome people to join our merry band of misfits. We are looking for people who share our understanding that when it comes to our commitment to our customers: we mean business. Especially given that the consequences of getting payroll wrong can sometimes be dire.
If you are the kind of person who has always wanted to make a difference and be heard at work, Wagepoint will give you plenty of opportunity to do just that.
The role at a high level:
We’re looking for a strategic word nerd with experience in all things marketing, including email communications, product marketing, positioning, and knowing how to use the right emotional selling propositions, to join our team as a Marketing Copywriter. In this role, you’ll create compelling content that will focus on driving measurable action and convert our prospects into paid customers. You’ll elevate the quality and effectiveness of our marketing efforts, inspire our audiences and set us apart from other payroll and HR tech software.
The ideal candidate will work cross-functionally with our sales, partner and product teams to become an expert on our products, audiences and positioning, then create friendly, on-brand and conversion-focused materials that sound like they were written by a real human. You’ll plan and write everything from event communications, email communications, landing pages, case studies, webinar slide decks and more. You’ll also have a chance to craft delightful sales enablement tools, blogs and video scripts. You will take a strategic approach to copywriting, ensuring that it aligns with our brand and marketing goals, always.
You’ll bring a data-driven mindset to inform fresh content ideas (and formats!) to the team and enjoy a work day that’s filled with the “technical stuff”, like choosing which product features/benefits to highlight in a promotional email campaign, as well as the “fun stuff”, like coming up with a fun payroll pun for a webinar invite email.
What you’ll be doing:
- Applying your exceptional writing skills to engage and delight our audiences, equip our marketing and sales teams with the content we need to effectively reach potential new customers and show them the Wagepoint “secret sauce”.
- Developing compelling and persuasive content and communications that reflect our key value propositions and resonate with our target audiences on an emotional level.
- Developing and executing on communications plans.
- Obsessing over our customers and our products! You’ll become an expert in our products, features, functions, audiences and how they’re positioned.
- Helping to tell the story of why small businesses, bookkeepers and accountants across Canada rely on Wagepoint’s products for their payroll, HR and time tracking needs (why they love us, and why we love them!).
- Contributing to other content projects as needed.
- Experimenting with new content formats, including video.
- Analyzing and reporting on the success of your content and making data-driven recommendations.
- Geeking out with our content team over things like commas and hyphens. Thrilling!
What you bring to the table:
- You’re a marketer and a writer, in equal amounts.
- 3-5 years of experience as a marketing copywriter, preferably with a SaaS or B2B company
- Data-driven mentality that can digest and translate content performance into action.
- A portfolio of human-friendly marketing content and communications work that you’re most proud of, and an understanding of how it performed. (Hint: We’ll ask about this during your interview!)
- Recent experience with WordPress, HubSpot and Google Analytics (or similar tools) highly preferred.
- Understanding of A/B testing principles and how to execute tests based on insights and hypotheses.
- Understanding of email marketing, including segmentation, A/B testing, writing, template design and reporting.
- An educational background in marketing, communications or a related field.
- An ability to write clear, friendly copy about technical topics.
- A sense of empathy, and an understanding of your core audience, that will allow you to articulate the real-life impact of a product feature on the client.
- An ability to combine facts with fun.
- A meticulous attention to detail that others sometimes find terrifying.
- The confidence to ask questions, sometimes repeatedly, until you really feel like you understand a topic well-enough to explain it to others.
- An editorial mindset that understands how to create content based on audience needs.
- An ability to adapt to change in a fast-growing company.
- A strong sense of ownership over your projects.
Bonus points if:
- You have prior experience in product marketing.
- You speak any payroll lingo.
- You have experience creating visual content, including video, infographics, presentations, etc.
- You’re the person your friends go to when they need a quick proofread.
- You can throw a 90s hip hop reference into an email for accountants and make it work.
What we bring to the table:
- The opportunity to work with the world’s friendliest team, solving interesting problems together.
- The ability to work from home, forever! Wagepoint is a remote company, so you don’t have to worry about commuting to an office. Plus, more time with your pets is always a bonus!
- An autonomous work environment: We’re a growing startup - so we’ll be looking to you to roll up your sleeves and dive right in! No red tape, just bring your great ideas and your powerful work ethic.
- An endless amount of laughter — we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We work hard, but we always have time for a bad joke or two.