We are a remote-first company and this position is open to candidates working from anywhere in Canada. Unfortunately, at this time, we are not able to hire outside of Canada.
We’re on the lookout for a dynamic Intermediate Software Developer to join our Spacebus Team.
As part of this team, you will be instrumental in tailoring our platform to serve the largest transit agencies globally. This role places you at the forefront of innovation within our sector, offering you the unique opportunity to work intimately with our most significant clients and prospects. Your involvement will be pivotal in enhancing the accessibility and efficiency of public transportation systems worldwide.
As an Intermediate Software Developer you will...
- Be in a high-impact position, empowered to make decisions that lead us to success while building complex products and features;
- You will be involved in design discussions related to code architecture;
- Collaborate with and mentor engineers of all levels;
- Actively participate in the day-to-day operations of the team, contributing ideas for how the team can better meet the needs of customers;
- Help us iterate and improve upon current engineering processes, to improve efficiency and to ensure 99.99% uptime, along with supporting the team in doing the same
About this role✨
In this role you will…
- Work as a full-stack engineer, balancing your time equally between backend and frontend development.
- Implement payment integrations (like Stripe), and develop customer communication systems, including SMS, automated phone calls, and IVR systems
- Develop and refine our reporting system, focusing on the generation and presentation of analytics.
- Participate in agile team rituals, contributing to the team’s dynamic and iterative process.
- Uplift the team capacity (collaborating with engineers of all levels, mentoring junior engineers, improving code base);
- Maintain an unwavering focus on quality, speed, and excellence in all aspects of your work.
- Provide insights for the continuous improvement of engineering practices and procedures.
- Eventually join the on-call Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team, after fully integrating into your role’s responsibilities.
About you ✨
- Experience as a full stack software developer, ideally 2+ years of professional experience
- An openness to participate in calls and collaborate with customers
- An understanding of the broader business and strategic aspects of projects and are adept at prioritizing and estimating time commitments.
- Experience working in a company that is tech-focused (better yet if you’ve grown grown in a company like that);
- Demonstrated history of owning complex projects, engaging in architectural discussions, proposing various solutions, and understanding their impacts.
- Proficient in automated front-end system testing and familiar with front-end testing frameworks.
It will be considered a plus (nice-to-have):
- Knowledge of accessibility standards ADA, WCAG
- Experience with SaaS platforms;
- Interest or experience in the transit and public transportation industry.
Spare’s mission is empowering everyone to unlock the potential of mobility.
Spare is the future of shared transportation. We’re revolutionizing how the busy mom from Dallas, the retired teacher from Oslo or the aspiring entrepreneur from Tokyo experiences transportation, by partnering with transportation providers around the world to enable worry-free, efficient, flexible, and automated on-demand solutions.
From the daily commute to non-emergency hospital visits, last-minute lunches, and leisurely trips to the museum, our technology makes people’s lives easier and transit more equitable both for those with specialized mobility needs and those without.
With Spare’s Platform, which includes a feature-rich admin web-panel, as well as rider and driver apps, transportation providers can break free from para and microtransit silos and provide holistic demand-responsive services that give each rider exactly what they need. We also help cities easily optimize their transit network so that the entire transportation ecosystem works better together.
At Spare, nothing is impossible. We think safe, affordable, scalable and eventually autonomous transportation is the right way forward. Join us for the ride!
- Purposeful work: Be a part of a mission-driven company that is solving real-world problems and improving the lives of people around the world. Learn more about the impact we’re making in our 2023 Global Impact Report!
- Market-competitive pay: We benchmark roles annually to attract and retain top talent. For Growth roles, we also offer a competitive commission/bonus structure that rewards strong performance.
- Stock options: Enjoy the feeling of ownership. All Spartians are provided stock options, so you can share in the growth and success of Spare!
- Flexible work: Work remotely from anywhere in Canada, in your own time zone.
- In-office collaboration: If you’re in Metro Vancouver, you have the option to work out of our HQ located downtown, close to Waterfront Station. If you’re located elsewhere, you’ll have access to CA$200/month to spend on a coworking membership to work together with team members in your city.
- Home office allowance: We recognize the importance of a productive home office setup to help you do your best work, which is why we provide a CA$1,000 home office allowance.
- Team offsites & socials: We love the flexibility of remote work, and we also value the importance of in-person connection. Each team has an annual budget for travel and accommodations to get together for a team offsite or hackathon. Plus you have access to a CA$50 monthly budget to socialize with other Spartians in your city - go out for a meal or hit up a karaoke spot!
- Health insurance: We offer a fully-paid health insurance package for you and your dependents that includes prescription drug, paramedical, mental health, dental, life insurance, travel insurance, and Employee Assistance Program.
- Lifestyle Spending Account: We offer CA$500 per year Lifestyle Spending Account (taxable benefit), which you can use to get reimbursed for a variety of expenses including education, wellness, transportation, and childcare/pet care.
- Paid time off: Along with your three weeks of annual vacation, we offer unlimited sick days and have company-wide shut-down days to help you rest and recharge.
- Parental leave top-up: Top up of up to 80% for 15 weeks to help you adjust to the new addition to your family!