Help build amazing new game-based learning experiences for students around the world! We’re looking for a Game UI/UX Designer to help us build beautiful, intuitive game user interfaces, with a focus on our projects on the Roblox platform like CodeCombat Worlds.
If you have significant game UI/UX experience and are excited about realizing the potential of education through game-based learning, then we want to hear from you!
This is a 100% remote, part-time contract role with flexible hours. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply from around the world.
What You’ll Do
- Use your expertise and knowledge of typography, iconography, color, and space to design highly polished, usable user interfaces, mostly on the Roblox platform
- Establish and maintain user interface style guides, promoting consistency and clarity of UI across our games
- Work closely alongside experienced engineering, game design, and learning design teams
- Creatively propose UI and UX designs to meet the needs of a wide range of players and devices (mobile and desktop)
- Translate designs into low-fidelity wireframes and high-fidelity mockups
- Collaborate with developers to ensure design consistency
- Field occasional in-game UI designs for our 2D web game platforms that differ in look and feel (CodeCombat & Ozaria)
Who You Are
- Deep gaming-specific UI/UX design experience, with experience delivering wireframes, mockups, and polished final assets
- Significant Roblox design experience
- Highly proficient in Figma
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to take initiative to drive a large UI/UX overhaul
- Knowledge and practice of user-centered design principles
- Strong communication skills, a can-do attitude, and empathy
- Success collaborating with engineering and game design on long-term projects
- Ability to translate game designs and features into cohesive UX flows
- Responsible, motivated, and flexible
Bonus Points (nice to have, but not required)
- Illustration skills
- Front-end web design skills
- Passion for making education more engaging through game-based learning, or experience working on an educational game
- Startup or small team experience
- Coding experience
$34 - $86 an hour
Compensation depends on experience and location. Hours are flexible; we are anticipating needing 10-30 hours per week (higher initially, lower after a few months).
Who We Are
CodeCombat is building a new way for K-12 students and at-home learners to learn how to code, using real programming languages to explore adventure games. Students learn how to write functions to control their hero avatars, implement puzzle-solving strategies, and code their own games. We are committed to researching, experimenting, and iterating new ways to marry education with fun for students worldwide.
We are a small, determined, and tight-knit startup dedicated to providing an enjoyable, meaningful place to work. Team members pursue a healthy work/life balance with flexible working hours. All of our team members work remotely from all around the world, with concentrations in San Francisco and Beijing.
Our work is purposeful.
We bring our personal best every day, because our game-based learning can be life-changing for young people.
Strength comes from interdependence.
We recognize that each of us is central to the mission of CodeCombat. We know our differences create strength and resilience. We engage one another with respect for who we are, not only what we do. We create community with intention, because we need each other–and because it’s fun.
Kind, not just "nice".
We don’t let fear of not being "nice" get in the way of the direct communication that underpins healthy relationships. We build strong connections through honest dialogue, even when the conversations are difficult.
Structure can be liberating.
Transparent processes let us focus on making the right decisions–and they create channels for diverse voices to speak. Eliminate information silos and shadow structures; create known communication channels and clear responsibilities.
We can operate at any speed.
We’re thoughtful about how fast we go. We pay attention when the lights change. Sometimes we walk.
Learning and growth go hand-in-hand.
Every experience is an opportunity to learn, and our team is growing every day. When we think we know it all, it means we have more to learn.
CodeCombat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please include a short cover letter & portfolio with your application