Steer by Mechanic Advisor offers a suite of software tools for today’s automotive repair shop. We combine a mix of software tools that a repair shop needs to run a highly profitable shop, in one user-friendly, cost-effective platform. Through the Steer CRM suite, we allow the shop owner to get back to focusing on what matters, and to stop worrying about marketing and customer retention.
Founded in 2006, Steer by Mechanic Advisor began as an online directory for drivers to find a local mechanic. Fast forward to today, Steer by Mechanic Advisor has launched a complete Customer Relationship Management (CRM) marketing suite, complete with text messaging, email automation, direct mail integration, reputation management, appointment reminders, declined/recommended services, and many other features. We are always innovating and we are proud to be a leader in the automotive repair industry.
About the Role
Steer by Mechanic Advisor is seeking a skilled and dynamic Engineering Manager with extensive experience in .NET development to lead and inspire a team of software engineers. As a Team Lead, you will play a hand-on role in the design, development, and delivery of a commercial CRM solution for the automotive service industry. In addition to your technical expertise, you will be responsible for guiding and managing the team, fostering collaboration, and ensuring the successful execution of projects while promoting the growth and professional development of team members.
This role will be 60% hands-on and 40% people-management focused, and will report to the Director of Engineering. Experience architecting microservices, REST APIs and developing 3rd party integration is required.
- Technical Leadership: Provide expert guidance in .NET development, utilizing your in-depth knowledge of C#, ASP.NET, and related technologies to drive the team’s technical decisions and solve complex challenges.
- People Management: Lead, mentor, and motivate a team of software engineers, fostering a positive work environment and promoting their professional growth. Conduct regular one-on-one meetings, provide constructive feedback, and support team members’ career development.
- Resource Planning: Collaborate with product managers, engineering leadership, and peer team leaders to clarify scope, requirements, and timelines. Take ownership of resource allocation within your team to ensure features are shipped in time with the product roadmap.
- Code Review and Quality Assurance: Conduct thorough code reviews to maintain quality standards, optimize performance, and ensure maintainability. Implement best practices and ensure the team adheres to established guidelines.
- Architectural Design: Work closely with the to design scalable and robust architectures that align with business needs and product roadmap.
- Collaboration: Foster effective collaboration with cross-functional teams to ensure seamless integration with our CRM platform and deliver exceptional user experiences.
- Documentation: Maintain clear and comprehensive technical documentation, including design documents, architectural diagrams, and API specifications, to facilitate collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Stakeholder Communication: Engage with product and engineering leadership, providing progress updates, risks, and opportunities. Collaborate with other team leaders to align engineering efforts with our product roadmap
- Recent .NET experience required
- Minimum of 1 year of experience managing software engineering teams.
- Experience architecting microservices, REST APIs and developing 3rd party integrations.
- Proficiency with one of the clouds (GCP, AWS or Azure)
- Demonstrated understanding of database and data transformation techniques.
- Solid understanding of commercial software development, design patterns, and best practices.
- Proficiency in code review, debugging, and performance optimisation techniques.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse and dispersed teams.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a passion for delivering high-quality products.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum methodologies and related tools.
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with containerization, ETL solutions, and automotive service industry is a plus.
- 100% remote
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO with 15 days minimum
- Generous Parental Leave
- Chance to work with the latest technology
- A collaborative and innovative work culture
- Opportunities for career growth and development
At Steer, we value diversity and believe that forming teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We welcome applications from those with diverse backgrounds and industries.
Our hiring process looks beyond just credentials. The school you went to at 18 doesn’t define your potential to thrive and enrich our culture. Even if you don’t meet every requirement, we invite you to apply.