PetLab Co is the world leader in the DTC pet supplement market with 50%+ market share, 9-figure revenue, profitable and rapidly growing with ambitious plans for expansion. We’re searching for a results-driven direct response email copywriter to boost the performance of our email revenue and customer lifetime value. You’ll work alongside our email team, but you will 100% own all email promotional copy, formulating strategy, designing tests, building execution plans and rolling up your sleeves to increase the revenue of our email list. With 1,100+ new daily buyers, and a buyer file of 3M+, you’ll have the volume to support a high velocity of test-and-learn cycles, allowing you to activate, scale and win.
So, if you live and breathe persuasive copywriting, are excited about a new challenge in a unique market, and…
- You have a knack for crafting compelling problem/solution copy that gets results…
- You’re addicted to consumer research and love testing big ideas until you crack the code…
- You combine logic and emotion to sequence copy for maximum persuasive impact…
- You obsess over the unique mechanism until you beat the control…
- And you’re extremely efficient and can deliver a lot of copy quickly for high volume testing…
… then please keep reading as you may be the perfect fit.
What are the Key Points?
- Core Compensation: $75,000 – 125,000 (base + bonus)
- Location: 100% Remote in the USA (global team of 140+)
- Benefits: Health/Dental/Vision/Disability/Life + 401k + 20 Days PTO
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET (with some flexibility based on location)
- Culture: Think Fast, Move Fast, Learn Constantly… and Have Fun!
- #1 Objective: Boost LTV by increase the Profit per Thousand (PPM) of our email campaigns
Who Will You Report Into?
Hello, my name is Matt Davies, co-founder and CMO at PetLab Co, and I need your help. We started PetLab Co in 2018 because we saw an unmet need to offer safe, effective nutritional supplements to help pets have their happiest, healthiest lives. Since then, we’ve become the fastest growing pet health brand in the U.S., thanks in part to our rigorous scientific approach to customer acquisition and conversion and our focus on building a robust subscription business.
We’ve become very good at ad creative, building an in-house video & copy creative team that delivers 1,100+ new customers a day on paid social platforms. However, until recently, we haven’t fulfilled on rounding out the creative muscle that’s needed to drive revenue and retention through our email list of 3+M.
And that’s where you come in. Our email marketing strategies to date have been graphic-heavy and discount-heavy. Because of our roots in direct response, we are confident that a full-time email copywriter can help us accomplish our goals to double, if not triple our email revenue by shifting our marketing strategy to a copy-first approach using sophisticated problem/solution constructs, unique mechanisms and persuasive copy structures that tap into customer psychology and drives engagement and conversions of our campaigns.
What’s the Ideal Candidate’s Background?
The ideal candidate is a direct response email copywriter who lives and breathes persuasive copywriting and has deep experience architecting email campaigns that deliver results while maintaining brand integrity. You’re addicted to consumer psychology, love designing experiments, have high empathy for consumers, come alive at crafting strategy, flourish while cross-collaborating with creative teams, geek out analyzing data to identify patterns, love to roll up your testing sleeves… and win.
More importantly… you live and breathe copy structure, obsessively spending time breaking down winners and losers to gain key insights, truly love the grind of perfecting a piece of copy until it sings… and passionately study the art and science of direct response copy on your own time, because, quite frankly, you simply cannot get enough of this stuff.
You love working in a team environment with other high-caliber creatives. You love to share insights, brainstorm hypotheses, run experiments, collaboratively deconstruct winners and losers and methodically create winner after winner, virtually high fiving each other along the way.
What’s It Like Working at PetLab Co?
We’ve gone to great lengths to set up a data-driven culture wherein the best ideas win, regardless of where they come from. As a rapidly growing company, we prioritize finding people who can think fast, move fast and deliver fast… while having fun at the same time.
To that end, here’s what you’ll get access to when you join our team:
- Clear Reporting – Getting accurate and timely data is crucial to enabling marketers to do their jobs, which is precisely what our standalone data analytics team delivers.
- Collaborative Team – There are no silos here, we all understand that to win, we must help each other out as necessary, doing things outside our normal jobs when needed.
- Scientific Rigor – Everyone on the creative team shares the same philosophy to attack every challenge with an experimental test-and-learn process to tease out success.
- Variety of Challenges – Given we’re just entering our 5th year as a company and growing rapidly, the challenges keep coming with new products, promotions, categories, etc.
- Refreshing Autonomy – Expectations are always set high for anybody who joins the team, but so too is your autonomy to figure out how best to deliver against your objectives.
You’ll also find that everyone here listens – if something isn’t working, we respectfully call it out. If something is needed, those needs are heard. If there’s something we can do better, let’s hear it.
How Will Your Time Be Spent?
- 25% on Customer/Product Research – Diving into product handbooks, sifting over customer research surveys and pouring through thousands of customer data-points to craft new angles.
- 25% on Strategic Planning – Formulating your overall strategic approach and turning that into specific email campaigns to split-test, choosing the highest converting offers to add to our automated email flows.
- 25% on Test Design – Brainstorming ideas and formulating hypothesis based on your research and analysis and then designing experiments that deliver the biggest bang for the buck.
- 25% on Campaign Delivery – Working with the rest of the email retention team to ensure your campaigns are delivered on time, on budget and on spec.
You’ll also be given the opportunity to collaborate with our ad creative team where you will be able to leverage the insights gained from over $4M of monthly testing, using the best approaches to test in your email copy.
You’ll collaborate with other channel owners (web, direct mail, sms, phone, etc.) in our retention marketing team to synergize strategies and tactics for maximum effect. This is particularly important when it comes to deploying the right mix of educational content vs. promotions to balance authentically engaging with customers while driving incremental sales.
- 3-5 Years Direct Response Email Copywriting – Hands-on writing performance email copy for a large list (preferably 250-500K list size), either in-house or agency.
- Consumer-Oriented – Strong empathy for consumers, deep understanding of consumer psychology and the research skills to identify big idea concepts.
- Data-Driven – Extremely comfortable flexing the analytical side of your brain, analyzing data and making creative decisions.
- Systems-Oriented – Strong organizational skills with highly organized, repeatable processes and systems that methodically deliver sustained success.
- Exceptional Communication Skills – You can quickly synthesize info and can formulate a methodical action plan that can be clearly articulated verbally and in writing.
- Proven Success – Demonstrable, measurable, previous success in email marketing and list management either from scratch or from its infancy into an enterprise-grade program.
- Direct Response Marketer – At your core you are a direct response marketer, you know how to pinpoint an opportunity, devise a strategy, build a plan and deliver success.
- Robust Test Architect – Expert at formulating needle-moving split-tests that are designed with sound fundamentals – e.g. audience, sample size, statistical analysis, etc.
- Think Fast, Move Fast – Energized by a high-velocity, high-growth entrepreneurial environment with lots of product funnels to optimize.
- Driven to Excellence – An ownership mentality with a relentless inner drive to excellence that other people find energizing, inspiring and motivating.