Moms First, formerly Marshall Plan for Moms, is a national, non-profit organization transforming our workplaces, our government, and our culture so moms can thrive. Through our programming, thought leadership and grassroots movement of a million moms and supporters, we are fighting for the structural changes America’s mothers need and deserve including affordable child care, gender neutral paid leave, and equal pay for moms. Through 2024, the organization is housed within the non-profit Girls Who Code, with plans to become our own standalone non-profit by 2025. Moms First was founded by Reshma Saujani, a long-time advocate for women’s economic empowerment.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager is responsible for executing an ambitious communications strategy that sets the national agenda on women’s economic empowerment. With a focus on elevating and building awareness for the organization’s brand and thought leadership, you have a unique opportunity to work alongside a highly sought-after principal with a significant profile.
A successful candidate will have at least 5 years of demonstrated communications, public relations, and media engagement experience. You are an exceptional writer and have a proven track record of pitching, building, and maintaining relationships with the press. You have experience working with visionary principals, providing them with the preparation and support required to ace interviews, panels, speeches, and more. You thrive on a small team and have a track record of driving creativity and results. Above all, you are passionate about the power of storytelling, sophisticated about the media zeitgeist, and committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality.
The Moms First team is remote, with a hybrid work option for New York City based team members. This role may be performed virtually, however we prefer candidates based in the NYC-metro area. If remote, candidates must be willing to travel and be based near a major airport with direct flights to NY, DC, and LA.
- Execute the Moms First communications strategy, including tracking key performance indicators
- Assist with all press, public relations, and media relations to secure high-impact press for the organization, our CEO, and private sector partners
- Prepare CEO and other organizational spokespeople for all external engagements, including media interviews and speaking opportunities with thorough, up-to-date briefing documents
- Own development of core messaging and routinely draft a broad range of materials and content including press releases, talking points, speeches, testimonies, and reports, conducting research where necessary, as well as standard organizational collateral, like our website, one-pagers, annual impact report, etc.
- Own internal brand and style guide and quality control for all externally-facing documents, as well as press and photo archives
- Collaborate across digital, social, and all external channels to ensure aligned messaging
- Support Moms First-owned events, including development of content, brand, press coverage, and on-site production, and staff Moms First principals at conferences and other speaking events, providing real-time support and after-action feedback
- Partner with external PR agencies and writers to expand our capability and reach
- 5 years of communications and/or media relations experience on a political or advocacy campaign, at a public relations agency, or a mission-driven organization
- Exceptional writing skills and experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience supporting high level executives in managing their various communications needs, from briefings, to talking points, to speeches and beyond
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines and ambitious goals
- Strong track record of landing stories in the press that meet the moment
- Innovative spirit and willingness to try new things, pivot, and learn from mistakes
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, organization, and attention to detail
- Team player with a flexible, creative, and analytical approach to problem solving
- Passionate about storytelling across channels and savvy about social media
- Committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality and the values of diversity, equity and inclusion