Sr. Software Engineer - Backend | Acorns
Acorns is seeking an experienced Sr. Backend Engineer with a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer-focused financial products, who loves learning new technologies on the job, who thinks creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoys working collaboratively.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from backend, QA, compliance, securities and more.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Get your first project into production and learn about our development processes.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Improve backend codebase by developing a performant and maintainable backend feature.
- Elevate the backend application architecture to increase developer velocity and drive growth through Acorns’ initiative deliveries.
- Provide insight into backend application development best practices; Support decisions around framework and tool choices.
- Build efficient and reusable backend abstractions; Optimize application for clarity and scalability.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
- Built products that are being used daily by our millions of users.
- Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on services you helped build.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience building and supporting production services or platforms
- Experience leading API design and implementation (REST/GraphQL)
- Strong understanding of object-oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Strong track record of good software engineering practices such as code reviews, deep focus on quality and documentation
- Experience leading a team to the successful delivery of user-facing services
- Innovative mindset, being creative from ideation to execution
- Passionate about advancing our society, whether internal or external
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns’ mission, vision and values, please apply.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible work hours, location, and paid time off
- 401k discretionary match
- Monthly Acorns account contribution & GoHenry account for your family
- Wellness Days - Company-wide quarterly days off to rest + recharge
- Mindfulness, Mental Health, and Financial Wellness resources: Headspace, Ginger, and Addition Wealth are offered at no cost to you
- Acorns Career Development Program (Monthly Acorns to Oaks training sessions, development plans, quarterly development check-ins, Cornerstone’s online training platform)
- Roots Leadership Program for emerging leaders
- Monthly community celebrations, events, panel discussions, and speakers
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission, and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is how everyday consumers save & invest for the long term. To date, customers have invested over $15 billion with Acorns, much of it in spare change. By putting the tools of wealth-making in everyone’s hands, Acorns has become the largest subscription service in U.S. consumer finance, serving over 10 million everyday Americans. Customers get automated investing in diversified portfolios, a simple retirement product, a bank account that helps people spend less to invest more, and bonus investments from 20k brands. Plus, everyday Americans can easily invest in their kids and get money news they can use, all from the same app. From acorns, mighty oaks do grow!
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way